•Chapter 1•

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

•Cheese•

TW : Gore, Smoking

└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘

You slowly awoke to nothing but the white noise your ac was causing as you turned to look at said ac with a face of nonchalance.

You had still felt the same lack motivation as you sat up and and sighed with closed eyes under your disheveled hair, not bothering to look around your trashed room. You haven't had the motivation for the cleanliness of your surroundings in a long while. Perhaps that's why your kills were so brutal and messy lately.

But as messy as it is, you somehow managed to never leave any evidence to give away your identity except a signature engraving on each corpse that keeps count of how many kills you've had and how far you've strayed away from your morals.

The doorbell rang as you winced at the loud disturbance. You slowly turned to the door of your bedroom as your eye twitched,

'didn't I break the doorbell a week ago?..' your head tilted in an annoyed state of confusion if that makes sense, wondering who in the 7 rings of hell fixed your doorbell for free.

You scoffed as you simply laid back down and silenced the noise of the doorbell by folding your pillow to cover your ears. Clearly not wanting to socialise with whoever was at the door.

You thought maybe they'll go away.

Oh how wrong you were as you laid in bed with a face of annoyance, 10 minutes of persistent pressing of the doorbell starting to get to you as you grunted and sat up aggressively with a frown and furrowed brows.

You sluggishly stood up from the bed and stretched as you tried to fix your bed hair as much as possible.

Making your way to the door, glancing at the kitchen and having the time to consider plunging a kitchen knife to the visitor's neck before putting your focus back on the door in front of you.

You can practically hear the clicking of the doorbell button on the other side. Opening the door with a deadpan at the persistent mystery person.

Lo and behold it was your next door neighbour and mortal enemy (unbeknownst to her) Detective Rye, standing there with the same unnerving smile she wears and..

"Huh?" you questioned with a deadpan as you looked at the wrapped item in her hands. Rye's obviously forced smile turned into a genuine one for a second when you noticed her gift as she raised it up next to her head.

As if she's attempting to make you look at her for once. Only to be dissapointed when your eyes were still on the gift with little to no interest on her, in your eyes however held confusion and disgust.

"I brought you imported cheese." she said dryly, a hint of dissapointment but a sickeningly sweet smile on her lips, the smile not reaching her eyes.

"No wonder it stinks." you said with distaste as you looked at the gift, not making a move to grab it. She only blinked, expression not wavering as she reached for your hands, making you flinch slightly at the sudden touch as she placed the gift in your hands.

"It's not poisoned or spoiled in any way, I assure you. Its just the way it smells but it's really tasty. For me at least." she said, looking away as she said the last statement.

You adjusted your grip on the gift as you slightly glared at her. "I hope you know I'm lactose intolerant." you said blankly.

She tried to read you, trying to figure if you were being sarcastic or not. A troubled smile replacing her unnerving one. Just when she was about to give up and take the gift back, you snorted.

Huffing with a small smirk before giving her a forced smile. "I'm joking. You go back to your duties Detective." you said as you tilted your head with a strained close eyed smile and closed the door to her face.

Your smile dropped as soon as the door closed, glancing to the small garbage bin next to the door before closing your eyes and letting out a huff, walking into your kitchen and placing the gift inside the almost empty fridge.

Glancing down at the bottom rack to see a pair of lifeless eyes looking back at you from the severed head it's contained in. "Oh hey Anne." you mumbled as you back up to close the fridge.

"I should probably throw her out, she's starting to stink."

Behind the front door you closed, There stood Rye with wide eyes, an expression of wonder and accomplishment. She smiled genuinely ever so slightly as she closed her eyes and placed a hand over her loudly beating heart.

'The first joke my first friend made with me..it feels...' she blinked, glancing up at the door you closed to her face. 'Good..progress is progress....better than nothing at all for the past 4 years..' she nodded to herself as she held her hands behind her before walking away to go inside her apartment next to yours before pausing to glance at the man behind her.

The brunette puffed smoke out of his mouth as he leaned on the wall, his unused hand in the pocket of his old looking yellow multi wind jacket.

"Sir you can't smoke here. I suggest you take it outside." Rye said with a strained smile, obviously annoyed to see the man smoking inside but still trying to hide it.

The man didn't budge, as if he didn't hear her. Making Rye's eye twitch and taking a step towards the man.

"Sir-"

Her words were cut off by your door opening. She turned to your direction as she saw that you carried a black garbage bag.

"Taking out the trash, Y/N- I mean- L/N?" her question made you stop on your tracks, just a few steps away from Rye and the man.

Turning your head to deadpan at her before humming in response to her, paying a quick glance to the silent man who stared back at you before turning to leave.

The man looked down at your gloved hand then to the plastic bag in slight suspicion as he watched you walk away.

Rye turned back to the man to scold him but was surprised to see no one there. Looking around to see the man was also walking away with his hands in his pockets.

Rye looked back at the spot where the man was to see an abandoned and extinguished cigarette. She huffed in annoyance as she picked up the cigarette and threw it away in a proper garbage bin.

She looked back to the man that was still walking away, you being way ahead of him inside the elevator as the man seemed to tell you to hold it open with a gesture of his hand and walking faster towards the elevator.

She looked at your expression to see your blank face contorting into a mischievous one and pressing the close button. Making the elevator close just before the man could make his way inside.

The man showed clear signs of irritation as he grabbed his face then the side of his head, trying to contain his anger as he took a deep breath..then another and turned to take the stairs.

Rye smirked smugly having expected this from you. Mainly because she experienced it first hand for a few hundred times she's known you for 4 years.

Then she finally made her way inside her apartment.