Chapter 4 - The Hawaiian Love Bug Bites Again

My heart nearly jumped out of me when Jeremy burst open the front door as the rest of us were sitting around the table eating dinner. His whole face was as red as a cherry, and he was grinning ear to ear. I could only guess what happened while he was at work. Maybe the film crew did a scene up near where the surfboard hut was.

"Golly, Jeremy, you don't have to slam the door open like that," Mom chided. "I've been telling you that for twenty years."

He came up to the table and sat in the one empty chair, which was next to me. He disregarded what Mom said. "I don't even know how to contain myself right now," he said.

"What? You meet Joan Blackman today or something?" asked Eddie as he was chewing some pork that Mom made, and it was glazed with pineapple sauce. I skewered some salad that was made with vegetables from Mom's garden, and it was doused with a mango dressing.

"No, I found out from my boss that they're going to be filming a scene for the movie right there on the beach tomorrow! That means I'll hopefully be meeting Elvis and Joan Blackman. Or, at least, I'll be able to see the both of them. Man..."

He rested his chin on the palm of his hand, his gaze dreamy. I laughed. "Goodness, you were acting as if you've already met her. You know... I met her today, and she was with Elvis, Elvis's father, best friend and manager."

"Wait, you met Joan today?" Jeremy hollered.

"Yes," I said plainly like it was no big deal, but really, I was still recovering from meeting Elvis again. He was so handsome in that moment, it was almost unreal. "The girls who are playing in the film showed up at the resort, and I was showing them around. We were out in the back garden enjoying the scenery and the beautiful weather, and Elvis, Joan and their entourage were with them, coming back from the beach."

"How wonderful!" Mom gushed. "Oh goodness, how I would love to meet Elvis and Joan Blackman. You sure are lucky, Lola."

"I know I am," I said, grinning. Jeremy had his mouth hanging open.

"You met Joan Blackman!" he repeated, only not a question. "Did you tell her about me? Was she as beautiful as a golden sunset?"

I snickered. "I'll answer your second question first. Yes, she was very beautiful and very kind. She instantly became friends with those girls I was showing around, and she mentioned that she wants all of us, meaning me and those girls, to spend some time together. She really is a fine, personable lady. And Elvis... boy, how can a man be so handsome?"

Mom laughed. "Would you look at the lovestruck looks on their faces? Golly, you two."

"So? Did you tell her about me?" Jeremy prodded.

"Yes, I did," I said, and he hollered, "Yes!" I continued, "I mentioned to her that my younger brother is a big fan of hers. To that, the girls I was with were saying how both you and Eddie had to be handsome since you two are related to me. Really, I'm not sure what to do about all those complements."

"Hold on, you told them about me, too?" asked Eddie, and he was starting to blush.

"I mentioned that I have two younger brothers, so yes. Those girls seemed pretty interested. They all are beauties, you know. I could hardly believe it when I saw them all together. If not for the plot, people will watch Blue Hawaii for all the beautiful people in it. I hear the gal playing the schoolteacher is really pretty, too."

"There's no way you're dragging me to that resort and making me meet those girls," Eddie said.

"I never said I was going to, but now that you mention it..."

"No way."

Both Mom and Dad laughed at Eddie's embarrassment, and Jeremy was serving himself up some ham. "Man... I can't wait for tomorrow. I don't think I'll be able to sleep. How am I supposed to talk to her, huh? How were you able to first talk to Elvis?"