Chapter 4

You turn on your phone's flashlight and open the manhole.

OFMG IT SMELLS SO BAD-

You huff to yourself.

Get used to it.

You get on the steps and closed the manhole behind you. You keep going down until your shoe hits the wet pavement below. It's still wet here, but not pouring from above. You hope it's brighter here during the day.You take a second to absorb your surroundings. There are big round holes on the sides of the walls, each pumping water into a green river of sewage. Miscellaneous pieces of trash flow down it.

Ew.

You start walking deeper and deeper into the tunnels, following the river. You hear footsteps coming from the drains leading outside the sewers. You lie down against the wall, your backpack replacing a pillow. The pitter-patter of footsteps coming from the drains to the surface lull you into slumber.
Time skip to morning...
The sounds of New York City awaken you. You check the time. It's 4am? You usually don't wake up this early, your visions not the best, and you have no energy considering the time.

There's footsteps around the corner.

You shallow your breathing to make sure they can't hear you. The footsteps start to fade, the person is walking away. You quickly and quietly go to the corners edge, and peek over. A bit small, aren't they? It's so dark you can't make out much. You breathing starts to shake. You duck back to the corner. Did they hear you?

The footsteps stop.

Then they start getting louder YOU ARE SO SCREWED NONONO-

...

"Mikey, hurry up!"

They stop again."COMING!" That wasn't the voice you expected. The boy starts running away. He runs until you can't hear them anymore.

Okayokayokay, Let's try to put this all together. This guy, 'Mikey', just hangs out in the sewers for whatever reason and almost saw you, not to mention THERE ARE OTHERS. Okay, the first part was a bit hypocritical. But you swear, in the silhouette you could make out, you saw a shell. LIKE, A TURTLE KIND OF SHELL. The man was a walking talking big turtle guy or something.

Oh wait, you're like, really tired. This is probably all a hallucination.

...

"The hell just happened, man?"