8 - Squirrelflight's Doubts

Opening up her eyes, Squirrelflight looked around the medicine cats' den, the moonlight shined on the camp, leaving the red cat confusion for the night to handle.
"Mapleshade... what did she mean? What does StarClan have to do with Ashfur?"
Shaking her head, the ThunderClan's deputy decided to focus on her white paw and clean it, trying not to think about the previous dream -or nightmare- of that night.
"She was probably lying..."
Squirrelflight thought.
"StarClan is not a fraud. My paws are safe with them and I doubt she could ever 'clean her soul' and get a second chance."
While licking her fur, the she-cat felt like a string pulling on her brain.
There was a thought in the back of her head that didn't want the cat to ignore the dream.
Not just a thought, but a name, the very same name that had been stalking her all day.

"Ask them about their behavior before the Great Battle, ask them about Ashfur."

Mapleshade's last words lingered in the air.

<< What about him... >>

Squirrelflight looked at Jayfeather and Alderheart, both sleeping peacefully near each other.
Smiling down at her sons, she got up from her nest and went for the exit.
She wanted to think of Mapleshade's words as simple lies.
She wanted to forget everything about the dream and move on with her life.
After all, the medicine cats had received a prophecy about a she-cat in danger of being attacked by some unknown group, there was an high chance for it to be a warning and with Mapleshade contacting her out of the blue to spit on her ancestor's names, she had all the rights and the reasons to think the prophecy was just telling her to ignore the ghost and that she was in danger. Yet she felt that need to be sure of things being the way she thought the to be, she needed the feeling of safety that only being right could bring her, at least in a situation like that.
"I'll just ask about him. I know Mapleshade is lying and I'll get the final proof."

<< Good evening Squirrelflight. How do you feel? >>

Asked Whitewing, who was guarding the camp's entrance that night.

<< Much better. No herb will beat a good night of rest to heal a stressed mind. >>
<< Why aren't you asleep then? >>

Asked the white cat giggling.

<< I need to speak with StarClan? >>
<< Now? Isn't it a bit late? Unless... is it about the prophecy? >>

Squirrelflight nodded.

<< Yes. I need to talk with our ancestors as soon as possible. I need to ask them about it. >>

Her niece nodded slowly, still unsure at the thought of a cat that had been in the medicine den all day after an apparent case of "seizures", all alone in the forest at night.

<< I still think you should wait until tomorrow. It's too late and we can't just wake our warriors for a stroll outside. >>

"This is hardly a casual stroll!"
Squirrelflight held back an annoyed sigh, accepting the fact that waiting for the day to come was the best and more logical option.
Even if the need to have some certainty was still strong and pulling at her fur like a predator trying to rip it off her.

<< You're right. But I'll go to the Moonpool as soon as I'm done with the morning patrols. And you'll come with me. >>
<< Me? Really? >>
<< I'll need a good guard. >>

Smiled the red cat as she went back to her nest, trying to not think about Ashfur and the words of Mapleshade and failing.
"I can't wait an entire night for some questions!"
Hissing in annoyance, she rolled on her back, landing in her nest and looking at the den's roof with narrowed eyes.

<< StarClan, give me a sign... >>
<< Shouldn't you say "please"? >>

Jumping back on her paws, Squirrelflight looked at the cat speaking in front of her.
The ghost was a brown tabby, a she-cat and she had a white belly that looked pretty soft at the touch.
The red cat couldn't stop a purring sound to rise loud enough to make Jayfeather roll around in his nest to cover his ears, said ghost was of a cat she had longed to see again more than many others.

<< Sister! >>