7.2

I stepped into the arena, my dark blade sheathed on my side

I stepped into the arena, my dark blade sheathed on my side. Upon Heather's suggestion (read: pestering), I have to put it on display as if it was some sort of artifact more than a tool. It's just a sword. What's she fussing all about?

"Our last match for today is the Crimson Knights who have exceeded expectations and advanced through the adventurer tiers without any losses," a radio-esque voice from the announcer rang across the whole arena. I raised my gaze towards thousands upon thousands of spectators surrounding us. They sat in the inclining wall of benches, cheering and leaning forward on their seats to watch us walk out backstage.

"If they win in their match today, they will be this year's Raventhorne Games' reigning champion!" the announcer continued. I managed to locate him in the mid-tier benches, an enchanted megaphone blocking most of his face. He's not a langkoor—that much I could say with confidence. "They will be instated as an adventurer party and a cash prize of twenty-thousand ethrans."

More cheers. I turned to Heather who had that calculating glint in her slitted eyes. Looked like twenty-thousand ethrans was a lot of money. Being here for a little over four months, I could at least say the amount would last us three years worth of lavish dinners.

"And, standing at opposing ground, defending their title as the Games' reigning Champion, please welcome," the announcer waved his hand towards the opening opposite the one we emerged from. "The Beast Hunters."

The crowd roared. I could even hear a few sniffles and shrill shrieks ringing into the soundscape. Ugh.

Aevi, ever clad in her tight leotard showing her impossible curves, grinned at us as she and her party members reached a safe distance from us. She met my eyes and gave me a wink, sending waves of hate down my spine. Had to finish this as quickly as I could so I could be out of that woman's hair and she, of mine.

"Who will be the victor of today's most electrifying match?" the announcer's voice rumbled in my ears. "Will it be the unsung scouts or the battle hardened adventurers? Watch and see, because the match begins....NOW!"

A large gong sounded. That's our cue. I never even got to throw a supportive nod to my teammates because a blur of flesh and animal prints burst in my periphery. I swung my sword and it clanged against a collection of curved claws. What—

As expected, Aevi's menacing grin greeted me from beyond the dark glint of my blade. "Dragon's scale, huh?" she tapped a claw from against it. She didn't have claws earlier or even when we talked to her in the mess hall. Where did she get them?

Heather's red scales flashed in my periphery. She landed with a crunch on the floor, pursued by a langkoor with a tiger head. His white and black stripes looked more than a zebra but who was caring at this point? And on his fingers...

I jumped back as Aevi shoved forward and slashed her extended claws at me. A valdyrsi. That's why she could easily overpower anyone. She's used to knocking people over at their own game. But wouldn't her skills activate only through physical touch? So, how come...?