8.3

That night, I drew my blanket over my head, cursing myself for even letting that happen during the meeting

That night, I drew my blanket over my head, cursing myself for even letting that happen during the meeting. It wasn't under those terms that I wanted to deal with Seline again. Guilt gnawed at my gut as I turned to my side. It also stole whatever semblance of sleep I would hope to get tonight.

Her words played over and over in my head. Are you really going to abandon me again? They implied I did abandon her at some point. Was that how she felt all that time? I ran through my memories, through all of the years I spent with her. What was I even doing to make her feel that way, even though everything I did had been for her. And only her.

My brain settled on that night, when everything we knew to be right had suddenly become so wrong. We would've been fine without a lot. And what did I answer? I told her we wouldn't because she wouldn't ever be satisfied. Maybe I missed the point of that conversation, and that's what I was paying for at this moment.

I sat up and shoved my fingers into my hair, mussing it greatly. A low curse flitted out of my lips. Okay. Fine. Let's say I did take the Crimsons on their proposition. I'd be stuck with them for a year, helping them to at least raise their ranks so they could stand on their own down the adventuring road. But that also meant having to see and talk to Seline every day that the Divines blessed us. If I so much as hear another tirade about our past, I swore I was going to lose it.

I couldn't believe how much I feared that over letting down Cavya's expectations of me. It's not really a good time for the both of us right now. There's me who was running from that time in my life and then there's Seline who seemed to have nothing else to throw at me other than that. It's hard to decide which one of us was more pathetic.

But sure. Let's go down that route. Perhaps by finally giving Seline what she wanted just this once would get her to shut up and leave me alone. Perhaps, by bending with her childish tirades, she could finally let go of the things she was holding against me. Fine. Whatever.

Like all the hitches I've lived though, I'd survive this one.

I had to.

Come the next morning, I picked up after myself and found the Crimsons waiting inside the meeting room. It was only Cavya who was with them, running them through Dragnasand's rules and regulations. Someone's hell-bent on getting these people to sign up, yeah?

His whiskers twitched when I strode into the room just like I did yesterday. "A good day for a sip, don't you think?" he asked, alluding to their version of coffee in this world. Unfortunately, it's too sweet and could keep me awake for three days even with just a gulp. Was that how Mirani managed to stay up for weeks as she had claimed?

I ducked my head at him before turning to the Crimsons. "Fine, let's do that," I coughed out. "Your proposition, that is."

A huge gash of a smile broke through Heather's lips. Unlike Seline who frowned at me like she's not too thrilled at seeing me first thing in the morning, the dragonkin wore everything she's feeling on her face. I didn't need to think hard on gauging Heather when it comes to her reactions.