EXILE

" i think i've seen this film before

and i didn't like the ending "

THERE IS A CONSISTENT voice in the back of her mind that never fails to remind her of her shortcomings. It's on a continuous loop, tormenting her with her past mistakes and rubbing in the fact that she can't change them. It makes her hate herself, she it truly does, because all the voice is good for is highlighting how much of a deplorable person she truly is.

For a while, she believed it had something to do with the serum that had been injected into her body. Perhaps it was simply a side effect of being so powerful, her mind turning on her and forcing her heart to follow. That's not the case though, because after a while she finally accepted that it's always been there to ruin any ounce of happiness she managed to conjure up.

It turned the brightest of days into the dreariest, stripping away any and all thoughts that made her feel good — made her feel human. The things she would think about, the death and destruction that she would loop in her head until she fell to her knees in the deepest of despair.

And yet, she couldn't have predicted the fact that it would eventually win.

Isabella had become an expert in pushing it away, pretending it didn't exist until she was on her lonesome and she could let it all out — except these days she doesn't get much of an opportunity to do that. Instead, she bottles it up and fakes her way through life with a smile.

She can tell her facade is slowly fading with time.

It is an all too familiar sensation, the burning slowly creeping up the lengths of her arms as she desperately tries to push it away. The necklace she'd been given, it lays in pieces at her feet with no way of finding its way back together.

There isn't a cell in her body that doesn't react when the necklace shatters, the darkness already attacking them — and boy is it winning. Isabella's body is ready to slump to the ground in utter exhaustion, let it take over so that she doesn't have to feel the pain but this time she simply can't.

Her conscience won't allow it.

And it seems as if her necklace won't either, because as soon as the shattered pieces hit the floor, Isabella finds herself thrown back in time to when an alternate universe was threatened by a Mad Titan, and a group of extraordinary human beings failed to take him down.

Perhaps this time it would be different — maybe this time they would know what it's like to win, all because of a girl who didn't even belong.