[003] how to survive the past

003. how to survive the past

Isabella doesn't like to say she's negative but as days pass in a world that isn't her own, everything is looking more and more dire

Isabella doesn't like to say she's negative but as days pass in a world that isn't her own, everything is looking more and more dire. These people, they just don't understand her or the increasingly dangerous magic that is bubbling up within her. The last thing she wants is to hurt anybody, let alone the teenage boy who has decided to make it his mission to care for her. Peter Parker is the same in every universe, that much she can conclude — caring and far too trusting.

"You don't have to watch me all day, kid. Stark made it very well known that he'd happily throw me in prison if I did anything," Isabella comments, turning her head to see him already staring at her.

The boy's cheeks flush pink in embarrassment, being caught in the act of watching her movements like a hawk. The brunette girl had been put into his care for the day by the billionaire superhero who has other things to attend to in the meantime. She's been on watch since she was discharged from hospital, Tony and Peter seemingly taking it in turns to babysit her. Today instructions had been 'don't let her out of your sight' and it seems Peter had taken it quite literally.

"Uh right. Maybe we could go get something to eat? May hasn't been grocery shopping yet so there is nothing here," Peter states awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Sounds great," Isabella pushes off the couch and follows the boy out the front door, standing in the hall as she waits for him to lock up.

The two of them walk in relative silence, each of them not knowing what to say to the other. Isabella, since she's been here, has had the underlying worry of spilling something about the boy's future. She's read enough books and seen enough movies to know that you don't share things like that.  Peter is obviously extremely hesitant around her still, almost as if anything he says will set her off.

"So, any good food places around here? We have this cafe back home that makes the best brownies," Isabella decides to strike up the conversation, even if it is slightly drowned out by the sounds of New York City.

"There's one down here that Aunt May loves. I come here with my best friend sometimes," Peter replies somewhat quietly, his face a little softer as the tension dissolves.

Isabella assumes that he's talking about Ned, the smiley and friendly boy she'd met last time. It makes her think about MJ, whether or not Peter is actually friends with the girl yet or not. She doesn't mention her to him, simply circling back to what he had said instead.

"Yeah? I miss doing things like that with my high school friends," Isabella speaks, taking the time to look around at the city. "Haven't heard from any of them in years,"

Probably because they're all technically older than her now — with the whole coming back from the dead thing and all.

"Are you not in school anymore?"