Chapter 9: Even Spirits can rain Hell!(Part 1)

[No one's POV]

After saying goodbye to Haru and his Father, Y/n and Team Avatar were on Appa sailing away into the skies. Aang was reclined on Appa's head, chewing on a piece of straw. Sokka was whittling away on a small piece of wood, though the intended shape was anyone's guess. Y/n was resting with Ryuko cuddled onto his chest. Finally, Katara was on her stomach, propped up on her elbows as she looked down at the clouds passing below them.

Katara: *dreamy* Those clouds look so soft. Almost as if you could jump down and land on a soft, cottony heap.

Sokka: Maybe you should give it a try.

Y/n: Real mature, Sokka.

Aang jumped up, grabbing his staff with a big grin.

Aang: I'll try it!

Before any of the gang could stop him, he jumped off of Appa's head, laughing as he descended rapidly towards the clouds. Y/n, Katara, and Sokka all looked over the edge, watching him disappear into a rather large bank of clouds. They searched for him, waiting for him to come back up. They were so focused on the sky in front of them that they didn't see Aang glide up behind them. They did here him touch down on Appa's saddle though, the sound of a wet splat filling their ears. The three of them turned to see a now dripping wet Aang looking at them.

Y/n: Turns out clouds are made of water.

Sokka: *clearly annoyed* You don't say...

Aang took a deep breath, then slammed his fists together. This created a ball of air around him that quickly dried him off. It also caused Momo's fur to puff up, much to everyone's amusement. They shared a laugh, then Y/n noticed something in the distance.

Y/n: Guys... look at that.

Everyone turned to see the extensive forests beneath them. Then, just over a hillside, was a large area of blackened earth that stood out against the lush greenery. Everyone's moods fell as they looked at it.

Sokka: It's almost like a scar...

Appa brought the gang down into the center of the scorched area, where they all walked around the barren clearing. Min placed her hand against the burnt-out remains of a tree, wincing slightly.

Katara: It's like this entire part of the forest was... completely destroyed.

Y/n: You're right, Katara. Just listen. It's so quiet... like there's no life anywhere.

Katara glanced over at Aang, who was looking over the devastation with an overwhelming sense of guilt.

Katara: *concerned* Aang? Are you ok?"

Sokka happened to look down, and noticed several sets of footprints in the ash. They were human tracks mixed with those of komodo rhinos, making it all too clear who was responsible for all of the destruction.

Sokka: Fire Nation! Those vile savages make me sick! They have no respect for-!

Katara hushed her brother quickly with Y/n also giving him a dirty look. Sokka glared at them both, crossing his arms irritably.

Sokka: *whispering in a hostile way* What?! I'm not allowed to be angry?

Y/n and Katara both pointed over at Aang, who fell to his knees in the ash. He picked up a handful of it, watching the slight wind blow it through his fingers.

Aang: Why would anyone do this? How could I let this happen?

Katara: Aang, you didn't let this happen. It has nothing to do with you.