Chapter 5: At The King's Table

Puzzled by recent encounters, her walk to the palace was taken up with wondering what prophecy the man had spoken about. Prophecies, and their importance, were an alien concept to many in Lyknisia, and beyond. Yet there were places which still kept to the archaic tradition of not only recording them, but allowing them to guide and govern, even the most important of events. Aleyna could not understand it, and her scientific mind which craved fact and arguments that couldn't be disputed, would not allow her to understand it.

Yet her mind wandered at the thought, curious by it, and eager to see Eyvan that night, so that they could discuss it – and other things, after her conversation with Zalana. He, having studied people to a much greater degree than she who studied the world about them rather than those who lived in it, would probably have an interesting anecdote or two to share with her. That was, if he was up for talking. He had clearly indicated what it was he wanted to do that coming night, she recalled, blushing, and it wasn't enlightening her on the customs of far off lands.

At the palace, she asked if anyone knew where Leena could be found, and she was directed to the King's quarters. She was admitted at once, to find King Petor sitting at a table with his daughter, the princess, to one side. He rose on seeing Aleyna, and opened his arms to her in a fatherly gesture. Petor had a big heart and a generous spirit.

'Aleyna, my dear. How good to see you.'

'Uncle Petor,' she curtsied, earning herself a mock scowl from the king, who didn't stand on ceremony with family, no matter how distant. The mock scowl would have been replaced with a real one if she had called him "king" or "majesty".

'Aleyna, how many times?' Then, 'We were just about to sit down for some tea. Come and join us. I'll have another place made up for you. So what news from the Academika?' Petor asked, as she took the chair opposite Leena.

'I've just learned that I didn't get the position that I hadn't applied for,' Aleyna said with a wry smile and a shake of the head. 'Zalana Lubov is not happy with me.'

'Neither are a great deal of others, so I hear' Petor said. 'I'm not one to interfere, and you know it bothers me not at all, but I hope you're not needlessly creating trouble for yourself, all for the want of a marriage ceremony. You know, nothing has to change for you or Eyvan once the vows have been exchanged, if you so choose.'

'But that's my point. If that's the case, it's meaningless. And we are so happy as we are. Why do we have to change to make others happy? In fact, it's not even to make others happy, it's to rubber stamp our living arrangements, so we can reinforce tradition. It's not even a widespread tradition across the island, and it's only enforced at the Academika, the hospital, the Council and the observatory,' Aleyna counted them on her fingers. 'If I taught in one the school guilds, it wouldn't be a problem.'

'You see what happens when you invite a professor to dine, papa. Philosophical arguments and demands for change, and the tea's not even been poured yet!' Leena winked at her friend across the table.

Petor took the opportunity to change the subject. At least he thought he had...'And how is Lyknisia's up-and-coming physician? I'm hearing good things about the work he's been doing at the hospital.'

'He's been passed over twice for promotion and for research funding .Because of me, according to Zalana.'

'Oh, Aleyna. I'm sorry to hear that. What does Eyvan have to say about it?'

Aleyna pursed her lips together as she detected a hint in the king's tone which asked, Is this fight against the establishment worth it? Trying to keep her voice neutral, she said, 'I don't know. He's not spoken to me of it.'