Chapter 10: The Past and The Future In One Place

When Aleyna woke the next morning, it was to a languid feeling of being well-loved. She stretched in the bed, only then noticing that Eyvan wasn't in it, and was momentarily consumed with disappointment. If he wasn't in it, they couldn't continue where they had left off.

Pulling the covers higher, the happenings of the previous night and early hours of that morning came back to her. She had cried like a baby as soon as she had closed the door on the King of Mynythia. It must havebeen loud, for Arner had knocked gently at the door to enquire after her, wanting to be let in, but she'd ignored him.

An hour and a half later, it was Eyvan knocking at the door. They had gone straight up to bed, and it wasn't until an exhausting hour later that Aleyna had mentioned the prophecy. Eyvan, being kindness itself, had held her while she cried, then loved her some more, before they had both fallen asleep, their energy spent, around dawn.

The light streaming through the window was weak, suggesting it was still early. Wrapping a blanket about her, Aleyna got out of bed and went in search of Eyvan. Due to his shift work at the hospital, it was not unusual for him to keep odd hours, to sleep only briefly before finding himself wide awake and ready to get on with his day – or night. His work demanded he learn to snatch sleep and rest wherever he could find it, and he had adapted to it well.

Aleyna suspected she knew where to find him at that hour in the morning: in the kitchen rustling up something delightful to eat. They both enjoyed cooking, and much of their time together centred around food and meal-times, given they each led full and busy lives.

She descended the stairs quietly, hoping to surprise her love, but was in turn surprised herself to find the door to the kitchen closed, which was unheard of. Perhaps Eyvan feared waking her after the events of the night before?

Still only clad in a bedsheet, she opened the door and stepped into the kitchen. Immediately, she noticed two things. The first was that Eyvan was indeed cooking, and the aroma coming from the range made Aleyna ravenous. The second was that Eyvan was not alone.

'My love, we did not wake you?' Eyvan asked as he stood up from the table and approached her. On reaching her, he kissed her lightly on the forehead and pulled her to him.

From over his shoulder, she could not take her eyes off of Arner, who was also seated at the table. Inside, she raged, cross that he was in her house, conversing with Eyvan as if they were friends. Yet a part of her enjoyed the fact that the king of Mynythia looked uncomfortable.

'If I had known we had such lofty company, I would have dressed for the occasion.'

'Aleyna, be kind, my love,' Eyvan said admonishingly. 'Forgive her, Arner. She snaps and snarls when wounded, but she has yet proven herself to be a danger to those around her.'

'Give me time,' Aleyna smirked, as she headed towards the range to see what was for breakfast.

'Feel free to go and put some clothes on,' Eyvan said, watching as she bent over to see what was cooking in the oven.

'Berry muffins. My favourite!' she exclaimed in response. 'I'm perfectly comfortable in this, unless anyone else has a problem?' She looked pointedly at Arner, hoping to make him feel unwelcome.

'I've no doubt you would look just as lovely in a sack, my lady, so if you're happy to don a sheet, I'm happy to see you in it. Besides, a professor can do what she likes in her own home.'

At this, Eyvan burst out laughing. 'Well played!' he exclaimed. 'Aleyna, I do believe you've met your match.' On seeing Aleyna's scowling countenance, he added, 'Oh, don't sulk, my love,' before enveloping her in his arms once more. After a moment, he pulled away slightly to get a better look at her. 'He's right, you know. You would look beautiful in anything. Tea?'