Chapter 13: Building Up To Goodbye (Part 2)

Aleyna, with the help of Arner, and Regnar when he returned, went room by room, picking out items she wanted to take now, things she wanted to have sent on once they had left, and objects she thought would make good parting gifts for her friends and colleagues. By lunchtime, her two saddlebags were full, as well as a sack that was to be carried by one of the pack horses.

Eyvan returned at lunchtime, with bread, cheese and fruit, fresh from the market. Once eaten, they packed up crates and trunks, piling them up in the parlour, in readiness to be taken by cart across the vast distance that stretched between Lyknisia and Mynythia. Arner cautioned her not to expect to see these things again for half a year, which made her blink at how far they were to travel.

The last thing they did was throw dust covers over the furniture and bookcases that would not be used again before Aleyna left. Once complete, Arner returned to where the Mynythians had been staying to get everything prepared for the following morning. Aleyna, with Eyvan and Regnar for company, then went about Lyknisia, giving out her parting gifts and making hasty goodbyes. The goodbyes were short and sweet out of necessity; there was no time for anything longer, and the more drawn out there were, the greater the potential for questions to be asked. The only person who refused to see Aleyna was Leena. It seemed even Aleyna leaving the city, perhaps never to return, was not reason enough for Leena's anger to cool.

Arner returned to the town house early that evening. He looked tired. Announcing that everything was as ready as it could be, he checked whether Aleyna needed anything else of him. He made it clear that he would spend the night with his warriors at their lodgings. Regnar once more was to remain with the professor, to keep her safe from things only the Mynythians could see.

Before he left, Arner asked if he could speak with Eyvan alone. They were gone for some time, and Aleyna filled the space Eyvan's absence caused with flicking through books too heavy to take with her. Regnar sharpened his knives.

'How many knives does a warrior need?' Aleyna asked him as she closed the book she was holding and Regnar pulled out a third blade.

He didn't look up, nor cease running the metal's edge along the whetstone. 'In truth, as many as he can carry.'

Aleyna tried to digest that piece of information but failed. 'You know, until I met you Mynythians, I had never met a warrior. I'd never met anyone who had been into battle or had to fight. Is Mynythia such a dangerous place?'

'Mynythia isn't where the dangers are to be found, my lady.'

'Then where?'

'For you, at this time, it will be the journey to Mynythia. Lyknisia itself is too built up for anything to try to get to you, or at least, so we think. Arner has had to be cautious, which is why one of us is always to be close by. But out there, there are parts of our road that are empty of people, where wilderness stretches in every direction for miles upon miles. But each one of us is a seasoned warrior. Nothing living nor dead will make it past our keen eyes and sharp swords.'

'Nothing living nor dead...' Aleyna repeated. The living with evil intent in their hearts was enough to be fearful of, but the dead? What harm could they offer, save the chilling terror brought on by the retelling of ghost stories?

'My lady, we can teach you how to defend yourself, should you wish it. Being an independent sort, it might offer you a crumb of comfort, knowing that you are not defenceless.'

'Thank you, Regnar.'

When Eyvan returned, without Arner, who did not even step inside to say goodnight, Aleyna, Eyvan and Regnar closed all the shutters over the windows, in effect, closing up the house until such a time as Aleyna might return, or she sent word to sell the house. For now, as always, only she and Eyvan would keep a key to the town house. If he wished to use it, he could.