Chapter 12: A Feast of Friends and Fools (Part 2)

While Aleyna fiddled with the laces on her shoes, Eyvan chatted about inconsequential things with Regnar. Aleyna admired his ability to be able to talk to everyone he met, no matter the circumstances. Then a knock at the door heralded Arner's arrival. As he entered Aleyna's parlour, gone was the warrior. Here now standing before them was a king.

He was dressed similarly to Eyvan, but burgundy was his colour, and it suited him. A high collared, long tunic, the hem of which was stitched with silver was worn over trousers the colour of wine. Over this, a black coat was worn open, displaying a triple moon belt buckle securing a belt from which hung his sword. Only Arner and Petor were allowed to go armed in the palace.

'I have already given Eyvan his gifts,' Arner said, removing from his pocket a small parcel. 'This is for you.'

Aleyna took the proffered gift and opened it. 'It's stunning.' Inside the soft cloth was a silver necklace from which was hanging a triple moon pendent, matching Arner's belt buckle.

'The triple moon is the symbol of my house,' he explained. 'I had thought you might wear it tonight?'

Another knock on the door interrupted the moment, and Eyvan went to see to it. Arner helped Aleyna with the necklace, and as his fingers lightly brushed the exposed skin of her neck and throat, she wished Eyvan could have done it.

After that moment of awkwardness, Eyvan stuck his head round the door. 'The carriage is here. Are we ready?'

Arner told Regnar he would see him with the rest of his men at the palace. Then they exited the house and carefully climbed into the awaiting carriage. Aleyna felt the eyes of her neighbours as she took her seat, and realised she was going to be the recipient of many stares that evening.

The ride was silent, and tense. It was also short. Soon their arrival was being announced at the palace by a fanfare of trumpets, much to Aleyna's embarrassment. She was pleased to see that Arner also looked uncomfortable at this. Yet Eyvan, much to her surprise, seemed to be enjoying the occasion so far.

Once inside, the palace was full. It seemed that Petor had orchestrated it so that they were the last to arrive.

'My Lords and Ladies, Gentlemen and Gentlewomen, may I present to you, ArnerStrom, King of Mynythia, Professor Aleyna Rienenska and Professor Eyvan Valetenko.'

Those gathered, including Aleyna and Eyvan, bowed to Arner. He smiled graciously, and then together, the three of them descended the stairs. All eyes were on this strange group as they crossed the room and headed for King Petor. The princess Leena was standing beside him. She still looked unhappy.

The two kings put their heads together for a moment, and talked privately amongst themselves.

'Hello, Leena,' Aleyna began, but she was cut off as Leena turned away from her to focus her attention solely on Eyvan.

'How can you smile, Eyvan? Your heart must be breaking-'

'I shall find us some drinks,' Eyvan said, ignoring Leena and speaking to Aleyna.

When they were alone, Aleyna tried to get Leena to thaw towards her. 'Please, Leena, I-'

But instead of listening to what Aleyna had to say, she simply turned and walked away.

When Eyvan returned, the gong sounded for dinner, and, with Arner on one arm and Eyvan on the other, they entered the great hall. They took their seats to the right of the King of Lyknisia, Arner, then Aleyna, then Eyvan. As they sat down, Arner leaned in close.

'Petor wants to make the announcement before we eat, not after. He wants everyone to witness this sober. And...and...'

'And what?'