IX

a/n: ayeee, it's an update that's not 2 months late 🥳 n e ways, here's to hoping that this writing fever lasts until I finish this series and maybe even more so that I can actually start taking in requests and ACTUALLY writing said requests 😖

~~~~~

Wordlessly, you kneel before the throne, eyes staring straight ahead as you await for the shogun's words to allow you to speak.

It's barely been a year since everything has fallen apart, barely a year since Kunikuzushi was shunned away by the god before you.

And now, you stare her down, fists tightly curled on your lap, willing the swirling emotions away.

It is not your place to feel such things, much less towards a god.

No matter how much your insides burn, you have no place to act on it against the god before you, even if you wished to do so.

No.

Your duty is to be the geo archon's yaksha. If you so much as speak out of turn in front of the electro archon then you may as well start another war between the gods. And for what?

For Kunikuzushi... only for Kunikuzushi.

"I heard that you have taken him under your wing." The archon's voice echoes inside the barren room, the vicinity ice cold, like that of an abode. It feels like it's disconnected from the normal realm with its blurring views, thunder clapping in the background despite the foggy walls around you.

The plane of euthymia...

"I can't say I'm opposed to you protecting the puppet... though I am curious as to why you would do such a thing... Answer me, yaksha." Beelzebul drawls out though you can see the look of steel in her eyes, can see the way her hand tightens around the arm of her throne.

"I have vowed to protect Kunikuzushi, your son, for the rest of my existence. As long as I shall be alive in this world, then Kunikuzushi will be under my protection-"

"He is no longer my kin. He is but a citizen of Inazuma or any other country for that matter. I wish not for him to be tied to me."

Your jaw clenches at her words, hands tingling as you start to feel the hilt of your claymore materialise though you try your best to will it away. "Whether he is part of the electro archon's kin or not does not matter. My vow still stands and your words shall do nothing to change it. Though if I were to give my humble words of advice, I do not think that pushing him away so suddenly was a wise idea. Protecting him by hurting him... I do not think that the late electro archon would be pleased." By now, you have stood up from your previous position, just as the thunder starts getting louder.

"You speak of my sister with such familiarity, yaksha. I suggest you know your place."

Turning around, you are met with the sight of Beelzebul holding her sword as she stands before her throne, looking down at you. "The battlefield is a place that I am quite familiar with, electro archon. I have spent quite the time with Baal. In fact, Kunikuzushi himself shares a lot in common with her. Perhaps that is why you're so afraid of keeping him close..."

With that, you make your way out of the plane of euthymia, your hair starting to stand up as lightning strikes the ground.

~~~~~

The heavy feeling in your body quickly disintegrates as you're met with the sight of Kunikuzushi laughing with the village kids, racing their way towards the blacksmith for their usual afternoon lessons.

It's only been a few months since you got Kunikuzushi out of your abode and into Tatarasuna. A small island near the main Inazuma island which hosts a small village where you met Niwa who was quickly taken with Kunikuzushi.

The man quickly opens his home to the both of you, offering to help Kunikuzushi with whatever he may need on the island. The two of you were quite hesitant to be so comfortable with him but soon enough, Kunikuzushi takes to liking Tatarasuna, having his days filled with classes with Niwa wherein he teaches him how to forge swords, along with helping around in the village, you've never felt more assured with leaving him alone for a day or so while you continue to do your responsibilities in Liyue.

"Kunikuzushi was looking for you, y'know?" Humming, you look to your side where Niwa makes himself comfortable against the tree, chuckling to himself when he sees your ever so serious face. "The kid was sulking all day when you didn't visit at your usual time. He said that even though he can call you at any time, he didn't want to bother you while you were off doing your duties in that foreign land. He likes telling the village stories about your journey, y'know? Sometimes, he even brings out books about you."

Crossing your arms, your gaze moves back to Kunikuzushi who's starting on forging the metal that was freshly out of the water.

Sighing at your usual silence, Niwa pushes himself off of the tree, a small smile on his face. "Dendro yaksha, you shouldn't worry so much about Kunikuzushi... the village practically treats him as family, we'll protect him."

Taking in a deep breath, you finally look Niwa in the eyes. "Please do so. His safety and happiness is the only thing that matters. Kunikuzushi deserves at least that much."

A little taken aback by your words, it takes the man a few seconds to respond, but when he does so, he offers you a genuine smile. "I promise you, I will do everything that I can to protect him. He is in safe hands." Patting you twice on the shoulder, he starts to make his way over to the village once one of the villagers calls out to him. "Now c'mon, yaksha, there's this Fontaine merchant that's been visiting for the past week and he seems to have taken an interest in the village's metal work. He's been talking about making this place a more appropriate place for the forging, something about bringing in some new equipment."

Raising a brow at that, you silently follow before him, the pit in your stomach growing restless as you sense something shift in the air the closer you get to the village.

Something's not right...

"Along with that, he's even taken an interest to Kunikuzushi. The man's been bringing in different devices from Fontaine, said that it'll surely enhance Kunikuzushi's abilities."

Frowning at his words, you can't help but be unsettled at the thought of this man though perhaps it's just because you haven't met him personally... you've always been wary of strangers.

"Ah, there you are, Niwa and oh? Is that the yaksha that everyone's been talking about in the village? My my, it's an honour to finally meet your acquaintance." The man dressed in foreign attire greets you, a smile on his face as he holds out his hand.

Immediately, you feel something trigger your senses. This man... feels familiar.

"My name is Escher, it's nice to meet you."