XII

You silently sit by a tree, ears strained as you listen in on Kunikuzushi and his new friend while you take out a familiar scarf from your pocket.

Looking down at the stained cloth, you carefully open it up in order to not spill any of the ashes as you scoop them up, a light dendro bubble appearing before your eyes as you encase the ash in them before using the scarf to cover it all up again.

Niwa...

You're sure Kunikuzushi would love to have something to remember him by...

Just as you're putting it away, you hear someone walking towards you. Not sparing them a glance, you stand up yourself, facing them with a small smile on your lips as you greet Kunikuzushi with a light bow, making sure to keep your distance as you hand him the scarf while you watch his friend behind him who's picking up some lavender melon.

His hand barely makes contact with yours to which he frowns at as he carefully opens up the scarf, chest tightening after realising just who the scarf is from. "Something to remember him by."

You watch as silent tears fall down his cheeks, hands clutching onto the scarf as he starts to sniffle.

The sight alone breaks your heart causing you to reach a hand out, only intending to wipe away his tears but instead, his arms wrap around your waist, pulling you into a hug which causes you to freeze, not at all used to being in such close proximity with him anymore. Though even with the slight discomfort, you can't find it in you to push him away, so instead, you endure it, hand awkwardly placed at your side.

This goes on for a few more minutes before Kunikuzushi starts to calm down, though instead of letting you go, he looks up instead, staring straight into your eyes as he asks you. "Why have you been avoiding me, (Y/N)? Have I done something wrong? Was it because I didn't want to stay with you in your abode?"

Gently, you remove his arms from around you, crouching down a little as you wipe his tears away, hoping to comfort him as much as you can without breaking the promise that you've made yourself.

"It is not because of that... I have simply realised that it is best if I let you explore things on your own... and that I may be holding you back... I do not wish to be the one to prevent you from reaching your full potential." With a tight lipped smile, you then take a step back, watching as Kunikuzushi stares at you with such a sodden expression, eyes glistening with oncoming tears as he watches you take a step farther, his teeth gritting at the situation. "I've got to go now, I've got duties to attend to, if you ever need me, just call out my name and I'll be there. Always."

Turning around, the smile on your lips falls before you can even make your way back to Liyue, unaware of the fresh tears falling down Kunikuzushi's irises.

"Why are you lying to me..."

~~~~~

With one last slash, the ruin hunter falls to the ground, your chest heaving as you jump off of the machine where you're faced off with Xiao, a frown on his lips as he silently watches your every move as you put away your weapon, shedding off some of the debris on your clothes.

Knowing what he's here for already, you decide to stay quiet, hoping that he'll take the hint and leave, though of course, that's not what happens.

"It will happen sooner or later." Xiao starts off, a graveness hidden within his voice as he lets out a sigh when he sees you take a seat by a boulder to which he follows suit. "You know that it's inevitable. We are adepti, it is bound to happen. It is better if you let him go now."

Taking a deep breath, you close your eyes, imagining a world far better than this... a world where you won't have to worry about Kunikuzushi getting hurt, where there won't be karmic debt following you around, affecting those around you... a world where you're not haunted by the millions of beings that you've slain throughout your life... a world that's more peaceful than this.