Part 9: Interference

The next day was lovely. The sun was shining, the things were singing, and I had gotten a wonderful rest. I remembered that Wally was still here.

"I'm sleeping... I'm sleeping... I'm sleeping.." he muttered over and over again in his sleep quietly. I gave him a gentle tap on the arm. I felt bad because it was rude to interrupt guests, but it was also rude to not allow him to enjoy the early morning.

He opened his eyes sleepily.

"Oh, Darling, you're awake!" I greeted. No one ever referred to him using his last name, but I thought it would be interesting.

"Yes, yes... not... sleeping," he mumbled, his eyes slowly closing again.

"Howdy has a new package of apples at his shop," I informed my sleepy guest. He jolted upright and looked at me.

"Let's go then!" Wally exclaimed. I nodded as we opened my front door and stepped outside. All of our neighbors were headed over to Howdy's shop to grab some supplies. Wally blew kisses to everyone he saw.

As soon as I entered Howdy's cozy shop, I was greeted with an aromatic scent; a blend of spices, sweets, and various materials permeated through the air.

"Howdy, friends! Take what you'd like!" the caterpillar puppet exclaimed. Barnaby turned towards him.

"I'll be takin' my lil' buddy 'ere, then," he said with a chuckle, placing two giant paws on Wally's small shoulders. Wally's eyes widened in surprise, and he looked up at Barnaby.

"I'm not for sale," he gasped. Wally wasn't sure Barnaby understood. Barnaby wasn't sure Wally understood.

I turned my attention away from the two friends. I looked around before  making my way over to some envelopes and wax seals. I took a few, planning to send a few letters later.

"Thank you, Howdy!" I bowed quickly. He waved at me with 2 of his hands.

"You're very welcome! Enjoy!" He called out . I left his shop happily. I has gotten a few supplies, an activity I enjoyed greatly.

I dropped my newly acquired items off at my house. As I left my house again, a slight path leading into the forest caught my attention. I looked around. No one was there. The cameras were off, as well.

I took a few hesitant steps on the path.

"It's rude to disobey rules, I suppose," I said with a shaky voice. I couldn't help but feel like this was wrong. I tried to shake off the feeling and began following the path deeper into the forest.

As I walked along the path, I noticed a large area of freshly placed dirt, almost like someone had been digging and then filled up the hole. I stopped and stared at it for a few seconds.

Barnaby couldn't have dug the now filled hole. It was far smaller than him.

"Oh, I wonder what that is... Perhaps it's treasure?" I approached the fresh earth. I slowly moved some dirt out of the way. Just as I was about to dig deeper, I felt a hand touch my shoulder.

I spun around and began apologizing immediately.

"I apologize for wandering! I lost track of where I was!" I stumbled over my words. My felt tongue felt heavy and slow. I couldn't reason fast enough.

Julie tilted her head and stated at me. Her brows suggested she was worried.

"Oh, friend! No worries! I just came by to get you! You miiiiiight get hurt!" she hummed. She took my hand and led me away from my find. I followed reluctantly.

"Soooooo~? What'd you find?" Julie asked.

"A pile of fresh, packed earth," I answered plainly. I was in no mood to discuss whatever it was I had found.

"Ooohhhhh!" she reacted. She seemed interested enough. She held a finger in the air. "I have an idea!"

"Oh? Whatever is it, my dear friend?"

"Let's go bring Wally over here! He'll be a great help in your discovery." I froze. What had Julie just suggested? Did she not realize that it was he who made the rules? I was not interested in showing Wally that I was not as polite as he though.

"Oh, Julie. You know how he is. He'll never agree," I chuckled nervously. Julie stopped before nodding.

"Ohhhhh, good pooiiiinnnttttttttttt!"

We made it back to The Neighborhood quickly. I still wanted to explore, but it was better this way. As I made my way back to Howdy's shop, Sally eyed me nervously as she left his shop. I didn't understand why. Perhaps I had left too early.

"Goodbye, Sally!" I waved. She waved back energetically before returning to her unusually calm walk. I decided to stay by Howdy's shop and bid everyone goodbye.

"Goodbye, Frank!" I called. He nodded to acknowledge me as he held Eddie's hand.

"Bye-bye, neighbor!" Eddie called out to me, his head turned.

"Goodbye!" I bowed slightly. I continued wishing everyone a good rest of their day.

"Bye-bye, dear!" Wally blew me a kiss. I returned it with a wave. Wally blew a kiss to Batnaby, who rolled his eyes playfully.

That night, I sat in my house. Alone. The forest was just behind my house. I was so close, but I resisted. It wasn't worth it. Besides, no one was allowed to wander around at night. I ignored my thoughts, walking to my window to check on my neighbors.

Julie was still awake. I could see her dancing through her window. Frank and Eddie were asleep. Their lights were off. Poppy was sewing, Howdy was fixing his displays, Wally was doing his hair, and Sally seemed to have both hands on her head.

"Poor thing. She must have a headache," I mumbled as I watched her stumble around. Eventually, her lights click off, and so did mine. I went to sleep, fairly calm.