Part 53: End

Mama Beagle fed us cookies paired with ice cold water.

Wally looked over at me and quietly handed me his cookies, for they were not related to apples in any way.

Julie was happily eating her cookies, Sally sitting by her. Eddie was sitting by those two, eating his cookies slowly. Barnaby was using Wally's head as an armrest as he talked to his mother and Howdy. Frank was not with us.

"Wally, dear, where is Frank?" I whispered. Wally yawned.

"He is okay. I had to help him out with something, so he's back at his house sleeping."

"Oh, alright. What about Julie? You better have apologized to her about the burning of her home!"

"I did! But um," Wally paused. He continued,"I would prefer it if Julie did not live with us in our home."

I chuckled. What an interesting worry! "Wally, even if she stays with us, we'll still have our waltzing hour, alright? She probably won't bother us, and you two can have your gossiping hour."

(Although you had become distracted after saying that, Wally was pleased. You had remembered that he liked to gossip with Julie late at night!

Wally stared at you for a bit. He was happy you understood his worries well enough.)

"Soooo do I get to live with you?!" Julie asked me with excitement. Sally looked over at Julie.

"Live? Why not me?" Sally pouted. Julie playfully punched her.

"You're too busy! Besides, you don't have any room!"

"You could sleep on my couch!" Sally sang. Julie shook her head.

"Maybe another time," Julie said.

We continued our idle chatter for another hour or so. No one else seemed extremely concerned about Julie's HOUSE BURNING DOWN.

"Excuse me for a bit," Wally said. He waved at me before walking over to Barnaby, Howdy, and Mama Beagle.

(Wally looked up at Mama Beagle quietly. She excused herself from her conversation to talk to him for a moment.

"Yes, sweetpea?" the giant chicken asked. Wally fidgeted with his fingers.

"How did you get in..?"

Mama Beagle paused. She sighed and fixed her gaze on him.

"Are you worrying about that again? Wally, we both know it's very difficult."

"But-.. I have to try! The company is planning on abandoning us, I just know it! Please!" Wally pleaded.

Mama Beagle placed her wings on Wally's shoulders and looked down at him, her brows creased with worry.

"Honey, you have to understand that I myself do not know. I will try to assist you in any way I can, but I can't provide any additional details. We can discuss this later."

Wally was getting tired of hearing that last phrase. He himself said it often, actually. He still needed to explain his plans to you, and now he had to discuss a new topic with his mother.

"Okay," Wally mumbled. He walked back over to you and rested his head on your shoulder.)

"Are you feeling alright, Wally?" I asked quietly, for I did not want to disturb the conversation Sally and Julie had included me in.

"No," Wally replied. I thought for a moment.

"Just rest for now, then. We can go home soon. I just have to clear up a few things," I reassured the poor fellow.