Part 44: Tea for Seven

"How are you doing, flower?" Howdy asked absently as we all laid on the cloth, waiting for time to pass by. Sally and Julie were busy chatting with each other.

"I'm doing alright. Thanks for asking. How are you?" I returned the small talk.

"Admittedly, not the best."

I didn't really know how to respond to that. This moment was a little too awkward for me. I wanted to leave, but I knew better than that. Howdy needed some kind words, reassurance, and quality time with friends.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Anything I can do for you?" I said. I looked over at Howdy for a moment.

(There were probably plenty of things you could do to make Howdy feel better, but he didn't want to say. He didn't want to cross any new boundaries, after all.

Yes, he longed to hug you, but it didn't seem like now was the right time for anything like that.

Howdy sighed. Why did everything have to be so complicated? He didn't understand, but he knew that it definitely made life interesting.. sometimes.

There was something that bothered him. Why did Wally get to live with you? Yes, he was practically homeless, but there were other neighbors Howdy was positive would take him in. He felt a little jealous, but he stored the feeling away. He did not want to think ill of Wally.)

"Ah, do not worry yourself about it. I'm happy that I was invited to the tea party," Howdy chuckled. I felt quite conflicted. Howdy probably wasn't telling me everything, but on the other hand, there was a chance he really was satisfied with just being at the tea party.
"..Can I be honest with you for a bit?" Howdy whispered. I nodded and sat up. My attention was stolen for just a few seconds because of Sally telling me something.

"Julie and I are gonna go grab some snacks! See you laattteerrrr!" Sally sang. She waved to Howdy and I before linking arms with Julie and skipping away.

"Sorry about that, Howdy! Now, what is it you'd like to discuss?"

"I'm... a little jealous... of Wally," Howdy sighed. His antennas drooped again. Howdy sat up and looked down at the cloth.

"..I see. May I ask why?" I questioned gently. I already knew why, I just needed my suspicions to be confirmed. Howdy was probably referring to Wally living with me.

I could kick Wally out, but I didn't want to. Besides, no one else was willing to offer him a place to stay.

"It is rather embarrassing to admit, but I envy him because he gets to live with you. I know it's silly because I can visit often, but.. Oh, I don't know."

"That's okay, Howdy. Thank you for telling me... Wally is only living with me because he's homeless, but that probably doesn't mean much, huh? Well, I'll try my best to make sure you don't feel that way too much," I patted one of his hands. Howdy gave me a slight smile.

"..Thank you. Thank you for listening, too." Howdy flopped back onto his back and looked up silently.

The tea party started a little while later. I sat in my spot after everyone had picked theirs.

It was wonderful except for the fact Barnaby didn't show up. Despite that, we still managed to enjoy ourselves. The party was mainly talking.

"Oh, isn't this wonderful? I love tea parties!" Julie yelled happily. Sally smirked.

"Wouls you like a side of tea with your sugar?" Sally asked innocently. Julie hummed.

"No, thanks," she scoffed playfully. I glanced at Julie's cup. It was pure sugar with a drop of absorbed tea in the center.

Frank looked around. "Are parties usually this still? No one has gotten up to move. We have all been sitting here conversing and drinking beverages."

"Uh, Frank? Sometimes parties are like this.. I think. If I remember carefully, tea parties are much calmer than usual parties," Eddie chuckled. He patted Frank's back and continued munching on a scone.

I laughed lightly and began chatting with Sally and Julie about all sorts of things.

(While you were busy, Howdy looked over at Wally. He was sitting across from the yellow menace.

"So.. enjoying not living by yourself?" Howdy mumbled. He took a sip of his tea and glowered at Wally. Wally shrugged.

"I've never lived alone. I used to have Home by my side, you know. I'm not used to solitude."

"Is dancing and reading together ever evening necessary, though?" Howdy maintained his uninterested appearance as he poured himself more tea. He added a splash of milk and a spoonful of sugar.

Wally leaned in and smiled smugly at Howdy. "Wouldn't you like to know, my dear neighbor."

"Stop being difficult, Wally. You aren't usually a fan of being around people constantly," Howdy poked Wally's forehead.

"Yeah. Usually. What can I say? I'm a bit of an enigma.. a mystery."

Howdy grumbled. He scrunched his nose and stared at Wally. "Fine, then. Enjoy the rest of your day."

Wally laughed teasingly and placed one of Howdy's hands on his cheek. "Oh, don't be mad at me, neighbor."

Howdy frowned at Wally, although it was more of a joking frown than an upset one. Howdy tried not to be upset with his neighbors. They were his only friends, and he cherished them all dearly.. some more than others...

Howdy stole a glance at you. You seemed so excited to be talking to Julie and Sally. He wanted to strike up a conversation with you, but he knew better than to interrupt. He would be polite and wait for your conversation to end.

Wally watched Howdy curiously. He watched Howdy watch you. Why was Howdy watching you? Wally wasn't sure. He didn't want to cause any trouble, so he kept his mouth shut and blinked at some apples near Eddie. He lost focus for a split second after hearing sometjing and took a chomp out of something else.

His eyes watered slightly. He had taken a nibble out of Eddie's hand! Wally grumbled and slapped his face with the palm of his hand. What had distracted him? Wally thought for a bit. He wasn't sure, still.

Anyways, Eddie was bleeding. Sort of. Wally stared at Frank and hoped he'd notice his husband's bleeding hand. Wally felt terrible for doing such a thing.)

My conversation with Julie and Sally ended abruptly.

"Wally! You bit Eddie!" Frank fumed. His head spun around and around angrily. Wally looked a little scared.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I was just trying to eat those apples, I promise!" Wally pleaded from across the blanket.

"Frank, Wally has bit people before, you know! He can't help that the apples were by Eddie's hand," Julie said gently. She hugged Frank. Frank's head stopped spinning.

"..I suppose so. Come on, Eddie. I'll help you fix that wound," Frank sighed. He grabbed Eddie's uninjured hand and walled away over to his house.

Wally looked down at his hands sadly. I patted his head.

"Oh, Wally, dear. Do not worry! You obviously didn't mean to bite him. I'll help you make a "sorry" gift for Eddie and Frank, alright? Chin up, friend. You've felt enough guilt for a while, I think," I smiled. Wally nodded slowly.

"Thank you," he sighed. Wally leaned against me as he looked down at his cup of untouched tea. He put his cup down and closed his eyes. After a minute or so, Wally had fallen asleep. He was completely silent this time.

Howdy looked over at me after a few minutes had gone by. "The moon is beautiful tonight, isn't it?"

I tilted my head slightly. Although it was still light out, the moon was faintly visible in the sky.
"Why, you are correct, Howdy! It's very pleasant."

I ignored how he had said tonight. He probably meant today, but i was not about to become the neighborhood grammar stickler. I yawned and looked around.

Howdy and I chatted for quite some time. Sally and Julie had left to go check on Frank and Eddie. Wally was fast asleep, still leaning against me.

Although the party itself wasn't perfect, I just enjoyed being with my friends. They were perfect enough for me.