Part 52: A Fiery Day

We all woke up the next day and had breakfast. After breakfast, Wally left to go prepare for an errand. He was tying his shoes when Mama Beagle walked by him. She paused.

"Since when could ya tie your own shoes?" she asked, her tone light and fun. Wally looked up at her proudly.

"A year ago," he proclaimed excitedly. Mama Beagle laughed gently.

"Oh, you're a smart fellow, aren't you? Good on you for tying your own shoes, mhm!" She nodded approvingly before grabbed a nearby broom and sweeping. She looked over at me.
"How are you, hun? Today looks real bright, doesn't it? It should be nice out."

"Oh, yes! Would you like to take a walk with me?" I asked.

"You betcha! Lemma do some sweeping, then we can go on a fun walk," Mama Beagle grinned. She continued sweeping.

"I wish I could go on a walk, too," Wally smiled. Mama Beagle placed a firm wing on his head.

"Oh, lil' Wally. If you keep putting off your errands, I'll have you walk the plank."

"Ma, that joke makes no sense!" Barnaby gasped from across the room. He had woken up just to say that. His mother stared at him begrudgingly.

"Raise 'em right and they'll judge you," she sighed. She looked down at me.
"Alright, sugar, you ready for our walk?"

"Yep! I'm very excited!" I cheered. She nodded approvingly. I turned to say bye to Wally, but he had already left.

"He blew ya a kiss 'fore he left. He's still real polite," Barnaby yawned. He sat up, still on his couch.

"Glad he hasn't lost his spunk. Now, c'mon, muffin," Mama Beagle said as she offered me a wing. I took it as we walked out the door.

We circled the neighborhood once. During it, we talked about Barnaby and Howdy.

(Wally left to go run his errand. On his way, he thought about something.

How had Mama Beagle entered The Neighborhood? Surely there was an exit and entrance somewhere...

Wally grumbled. First, he had to deal with Julie's house. Then, he had to deal with Frank. Finally, he had to investigate how his mother had infiltrated the neighborhood..)

On the second lap, Howdy stopped us. We were in front of his bodega.

(Howdy had seen you two circle the neighborhood. He was excited to see Miss Beagle again.

He stepped outside and waved, hoping you'd notice and stop.)

"Why, hello Howdy! You're a tall one now, dontcha know," Mama Beagle chuckled. She patted his shoulder.

"I suppose I am, Miss Beagle! Enjoying your walk?" Howdy asked happily.

Mama Beagle nodded. "Indeed. I brought this lovely neighbor along with me!" She patted my head.

"So I see! Well, you two have fun."

Mama Beagle and I waved goodbye to him before we continued walking. Just as we passed the barn, Mama Beagle spoke.

"Wanna know something about my boy Wally?"

"Sure," I replied.

"You know how he likes his wardrobe colorful, now? He didn't use to. He used to wear nothing but black, dontcha know! Oofda! It was quite the phase. Glad he grew outta it!"

"Wally? Wearing black?" I guffawed. It was such a funny image.

"Yes ma'am! Poppy and I used to beg him to put his hair up in a bun, at least. He also used to wear black polish on his press on nails! Barnaby went through that phase at the same time, too. It was such an odd experience for us," Mama Beagle stated. She looked down at me.
"I'm glad people have the chance to change and grow."

"Me too.. Excuse me, but do you smell.. smoke?" I paused. Mama Beagle shrugged.

"I think you're smelling Barnaby's cooking--Oh! You're right, dearie! What is that?" She looked around curiously.

"...Is Julie's house on fire?" I squinted at the distance. Mama Beagle gasped and scooped me up in her arms before running toward the fire.

"Wally Cutiepie Enigma Darling! What in the.. blazes," she stopped to laugh at her pun before returning to her serious face, "are you doing?!"

"I'm burning a bridge," Wally declared.

"I think you're burning a house, hun," Mama Beagle growled, exasperated. She looked like a tired mother of eight.

"Wally! Why is Julie's house on fire?!" I asked. Wally looked down at his feet, his hands folded behind his back. He looked a little ashamed and guilty.

"The eye pansy was getting closer! I didn't what else to do!"

"You didn't think to uproot it?" I sighed. Wally kicked some dust up with his shoe nervously.

"It kept growing back..."

"Oh, dear. Nevermind that! Is everyone safe?" Mama Beagle surveyed the area. She turned around once she saw that all the other neighbors had formed a single file lime behind her. She marched back to Barnaby's house and dropped us all off before matching back to what remained of Julie's house.

Mama Beagle said something, but none of us could hear her. She spread her wings out and fanned the flames, which scared us at first. The fire died down, much to our surprise. She walled back over to us.

"Oh, Julie, little chick. What would ya like to do? You may live wherever," the giant chicken said as she patted Julie's head.

Julie grumbled and squinted at Wally. "Thanks for solving that problem!"
She looked over at me.
"Can I live you?" she sang.

Wally tugged at my sleeve and shook his head quickly. I blinked slowly at him.

"Noooooooo," Wally fell to the ground on his knees dramatically, his hands folded and held above his head like he was begging for mercy from some ferocious beast.
"She will judge our waltzing hour!"

"Waltzing hour? I want to join!" Julie gasped. I exhaled, tired. Could I handle living with two wildcards?

"No! That's my hour! Find your own dear to waltzed with!" Wally shook a fist at her. Julie pointed at him.

"Listen here, mister! It's selfish to keep one neighbor allllll to yourself!"

Mama Beagle chuckled nervously and placed a wing on Wally's shoulder, the other on Julie's.
"Okay now, chickpeas, enough squabbling. Let's rest for now, mhm? Also, we need to be a little quieter.. Snore-aby over there needs his rest."

I was grateful to that wonderful hen! She had truly saved me from making some difficult situations right away. I followed everyone into the house, ready to plan our next move.