4. bill and frank

"You're gonna break your wrist if you keep writing with that speed" Ellie told Beth

"You're gonna break your wrist if you keep writing with that speed" Ellie told Beth. Ellie was sitting with her back against a tree, and so was Beth, in a tree next to Ellie's. 

Beth was writing in her journal. She was writing about everything that happened: every conversation, every view, everything she felt, every memory that was brought back, ... Writing is Beth's way of coping with what happens in her life. She loves to write, not only about her life but also making up stories and interesting characters.

"Oh, I can write faster if you'd like" Beth joked, sarcastically.

"You're turning out to be a very sarcastic person" Ellie said. While they walked about 10 more miles away from Boston, that was the only thing Ellie was able to figure out about the girl.

"Thanks" Beth responded, quietly, focused on her writings. Only after walking about 5 miles did Beth realize how pretty Ellie was. She guesses she was too nervous to actually notice that, but now that she did, she finds Ellie a bit intimidating.

They were in the middle of a forest, next to a river. The sound of water hitting the rocks helped Beth to relax a little. They could hear birds chirping and the sun was rising.

Joel came back and the girls went quiet. Beth didn't know if she was supposed to act like nothing happened or to do anything else, so she just stayed as quiet as possible. Ellie looked a bit mad, though. "Want your jacket back?" Ellie asked Joel.

He didn't respond. Instead, he searched his backpack for food, and then grabbed a paper with a bit of food and ate some. Before putting it back on the backpack, he hesitated and threw the paper at Ellie. "Want some?" Ellie asked Beth before eating it. Beth said no but thanked her.

"I've never been in the woods. More bugs than I thought" Ellie said, chewing the food Joel gave her. She was trying to get Joel to talk, Beth understood that. Beth wanted to reply, but realized it was not her place to do so. Instead, she just smiled.

Ellie opened her mouth to speak but hesitated. Then, she said "Look, I've been thinking about..."

"I don't want your sorries" Joel said, interrupting Ellie. 

"I wasn't gonna say I'm sorry. I was gonna say that I've been thinking about what happened. Nobody made you or Tess take me. Us" Ellie said. "Nobody made you go along with this plan. You needed a truck battery or whatever and you made a choice. So don't blame me or Liz for something that isn't our fault".

Even though Beth did feel sorry for Joel, she knew Ellie was right. "And I only said "Us" because I know Liz is too nice to say what I said" Ellie added.

Beth glanced at Joel and back at Ellie. It was true, Beth didn't want to feel the weight of Joel's pain in her back, and he was making her feel that. Joel just looked at the two girls and nodded. 

Joel started to pick his stuff up, so Beth took that as a clue and also got up. She hadn't gotten any sleep and hadn't eaten yet because she just didn't feel hungry. The two girls get up and grab their belongings. Ellie gives Joel his jacket back.