12. we'll be alright

"This doesn't look good" Beth said, struggling to keep calm

"This doesn't look good" Beth said, struggling to keep calm. Ellie looked at her, frightened and worried, and Beth realized she shouldn't have said that out loud.

It's been a day since they've sewn up Joel, and the two girls were feeling too unstable and lost. They took turns to sleep, they were afraid to leave the house and Beth couldn't find the energy to write in her journal anymore.

Ellie is clearly upset and sad, so Beth has been acting in control of the situation, so Ellie could maybe relax a little. She knew Joel meant something different to Ellie. That's why Beth held Ellie close while she cried last night, after she spent the day acting tough.

Ellie tried giving water to Joel while Beth searched the house for more food. She found nothing. They resorted to the last bit of food they had.

"Here" Ellie said, handing Beth a chunk of the food.

"I'm not hungry" Beth said, getting up. She was too anxious to stay still.

"You've got to eat!" Ellie said, in a slightly different tone, watching Beth walk in the direction of the stairs.

"Give it to Joel" Beth said, without any emotion, walking up the stairs. Ellie sighed out of frustration and Beth closed the door. 

Beth walked over to the kitchen and decided to tidy it up. She put the things back in their drawers and closed each one. She moved the things back to their place, hoping to keep her mind busy.

But of course, it didn't work because nothing in her life seemed to ever work out.

She started feeling more and more anxious while grabbing the last fallen drawer, from when Ellie was searching for a thread to sew Joel's wound. And the damn drawer wouldn't fit in the cabinet. 

She pushed it in, but it wasn't working. She started doing it harder, out of frustration. She cursed out loud, feeling mad. She hit it harder, and it still wouldn't work.

Then the drawer broke, falling on the floor with a loud thud. "Shit" Beth cried, breathing rapidly.

She leaned on the counter, staring at the curtain covering the small kitchen window and its stains. She didn't even want to concentrate on her breathing, she didn't want to take deep breaths. She just wanted not to forget how low she was feeling right now. She wanted to keep the moment and taste it many times.

It was in the middle of her breakdown that she felt Ellie's arms wrapping around her waist, hugging her from behind. Beth didn't even try to fight Ellie's affection.

Ellie didn't say anything. She just stayed close to Beth, enjoying the warmth of the hug and the comfort it brought, hoping that in some way it was helping Beth too.

Beth couldn't help but smile over Ellie's touch. She really needed that hug.

They stayed like that for a couple minutes, until Beth grabbed one of Ellie's hands and turned around, so she was facing Ellie.