10. pleaser

Beth was sharing the horse with Ellie while trying to convince herself that her hands around Ellie's waist were to prevent falling and that it was okay, and she wasn't pushing boundaries

They finally entered Jackson, and the town was beautiful. There were people everyone, each one doing their job. An old "Lights Festival 2003" card stayed peacefully on a pole. 

It scarily resembled Horslow. It seemed more serene, more organized and with more people, but overall, it looked alike. Beth couldn't understand if that brought her happiness or anxiety. Maybe both, mixed with desolation, emptiness.

She looked at the people making snowmen, and then she remembered the one time she made a snowman and it somehow looked like Bowie. Nancy couldn't stop making fun of it. 

The people, too, reminded her of people she knew- had known. It was history now, and she couldn't let herself drown in memories.

Ellie looked excited though, and Beth was glad for that.

"Tommy!" Joel yelled. Ellie and Beth looked in that direction, and saw a man, who looked a bit like Joel, walking towards him. It made Beth so extremely happy that he finally found him. Would she find Nancy too?

"What the fuck you doin' here?" Tommy asked, hugging Joel.

"I came here to save you" Joel replied, with a smile. Hell, Joel was smiling.

They were now eating in a really cozy canteen. Joel was eating normally, and Beth was making an effort to eat normally too, but Ellie was eating at the speed of light.

"There's more if you need it" the woman who brought them in said, earning a thankful smile from Beth.

"Thank you, ma'am" Joel said. "It's been a while since we've had a proper meal".

"Actually, I don't think I've ever had a proper meal. This is fuckin' amazing" Ellie said.

"Sorry. Ellie, let's mind our manners" Joel said, kindly.

Beth stayed quiet. Ellie looked up from her plate and saw a girl, hiding behind a wooden pillar. "What?" Ellie shouted at the girl.

"Ells!" Beth said, softly hitting Ellie with her elbow.

"What's wrong with you?" Joel said right after.

"What about her manners?" Ellie asked, angrily. Beth knew why Ellie was acting so differently, but she couldn't understand.

"She was just curious. Kids around here don't usually look or talk like you" the woman told Ellie.

"Right, well, maybe I'll teach them" Ellie said, with a mean tone. "And I want my gun back".

"They also aren't armed" the woman said, in the same tone as Ellie.

"You know what? Uh...  I think maybe y'all got a little off on the wrong foot" Tommy said.

"She was gonna have her guys kill us!" Ellie said, madly.

"Well, we gotta be real careful about who we let in this place. But it's all bark. We're just tryna scare off those who might wanna try us is all" Tommy explained.

"Well, you got a couple of 90-year-olds shitting themselves out there" Ellie said.

"Ellie" Joel said, starting to lose his patience too.

"They say that you leave dead bodies around?" Ellie said.

"Those are the people who tried us. A bad reputation doesn't mean you're bad" Tommy explained.