14. ...look for the light

The leaves were a vibrant green and flowers were blossoming

The leaves were a vibrant green and flowers were blossoming. Spring arrived slowly but surely, and it was Beth's favorite time of the year.

She loved fall too, but the absence of sun made her feel sad. But, during spring, the weather is nice, nature is beautiful and there's sun. All one could ask for.

Beth has spent a lot of time thinking about her sister. Nancy, Nancy, Nancy, Nancy... her name keeps going on a loop in Beth's head, often leaving her feeling crazy.

It's amazing how Beth still has hopes of finding her sister. She tells herself that if Nancy were dead, she'd know already- she would've already felt it. She always feels things very deeply, and death wasn't an exception.

Besides her sister, Ellie's also always on her mind. She's very worried for her. Ever since it happened, Ellie has been behaving differently. Of course, Beth has made her laugh a million times, but it's when Ellie's not distracted by Beth that she shows her true emotions.

Ellie cried a few times in Beth's embrace when Joel wasn't close. She has told her a couple of things, but Beth can guess it's not the full story. She wishes Ellie could just talk about her feelings, but she knows she must give her time.

And hell, Beth knows it. It also wasn't easy for her killing people. But she knew something else happened, although Ellie never told her. She simply knew.

So, when Ellie seemed sadder and more distracted, Beth always made sure she was by her side, keeping company. She just didn't want Ellie to feel completely alone.

Ellie communicated the most through her drawings. Beth was now sharing her journal with Ellie, even though the pen was running out of ink. Beth was always encouraging Ellie to draw, because she loved how her face would change while drawing (like how she puts her tongue slightly out when she's concentrating, or how she keeps rubbing her nose while thinking) and because she found her drawings truly fascinating.

"Ellie!" Joel called for her. She didn't even move. Beth, who was sitting next to Ellie at the back of the truck, turned around and gave Joel an apologetic smile.

Joel changed a lot. He was smiling more, talking more. Beth could see a really special bond being created between Joel and Ellie. It was really something special. Beth also had a good relationship with Joel, but her mind wouldn't let her fully connect with him- he'd reminded her of her father.

It's been almost a year since Beth's parents died. Since the Horslow massacre. Since she had to kill Sparrow.

And Beth has learned a lot. She has learned a lot about grief, love and bravery.

"Ells..." Beth calls for Ellie, putting her hand on Ellie's knee. Ellie finally snaps out of her thoughts. Beth points to Joel, who's walking up to them, and Ellie looks back.

"Well, I found this in there. Beefaroni. Chef Boyardee" Joel said, smiling, showing the can. Beth smiled back.

"Oh, cool" Ellie said, unenthusiastically.