7. endure and survive

After taking care of Beth's fractured ankle, the group finally continued walking through the tunnels

After taking care of Beth's fractured ankle, the group finally continued walking through the tunnels. Ellie had given Beth her backpack. Ellie couldn't pull her eyes away from Beth, not only because she was worried, but also because she couldn't believe Beth was actually there, alive. 

She was afraid that if she stopped looking Beth would go away.

In the process of walking miles underground, Beth didn't say much about what happened to her but her unsteady and shaken up presence said a lot. She got to know Henry and Sam a bit, and that made her feel even more mad towards Kathleen.

"She talked about you" Henry said, as they walked through the tunnels. Beth had one arm over Ellie's shoulder, so it was easier to walk. "She said you looked like her, but prettier".

"How was she?" Beth asked. She really needed to know more about her sister, how she was and where she could be going.

"Nancy had some scratches, but she wasn't injured" Henry said. "She really helped me and Sam. I'm guessing you know what she did".

"Yup. She blew up a building and killed some people. She gave you some of the supplies she stole?" Beth asked, but she knew her sister and knew she was a bit insane sometimes. She was too unpredictable.

"Most of them" Henry said, making Beth smile a little. "Although I'm very thankful I gotta admit, blowing up the building was a little too much".

"Yeah, I can see that. She's a bit crazy" Beth admitted. "Do you know where she's headed?".

"She talked about joining a group somewhere in the west" Henry said. "But she's a very secretive person, the most she opened up was about you".

"Sounds like her" Beth said, smiling. 

Soon, they finally got out of the tunnels. "Do you know where we are?" Joel asked.

"Yep. The other side" Henry responded. 

"Oh my god, can you taste the air? I swear it tastes different" Beth asked Ellie, putting her tongue out.

Ellie laughed and did the same as the girl. "It does!" she said, making Beth giggle.

The group wandered around the empty streets, with empty, old houses and rusty cars. Joel was walking in front of the group, followed by Ellie and Beth and then by Henry and Sam.

"No. No one is here" Henry said, after talking with Sam. "No one's gonna be here because... my plan worked"

"So much goddamn talkin'" Joel said, making Ellie and Beth smile. 

"I'm just saying... I delivered. Make this right, go down the street, embankment behind the last house... and we're out" Henry said, proud that his plan worked. 

"So we cross the river and then what? Where ya gonna go?" Ellie asked Henry.

"Don't know yet" Henry responded. 

"Well, we're goin' to Wyoming" Ellie said, making Joel look back and give her a look. "What? It's a huge state. It can fit two more people".

"Yeah... maybe we just call this one a success and say our fond farewells" Henry said after seeing the look on Joel's face.

"No, he'll change his mind. Trust me. This is how it goes" Ellie said.