Chapter One (Part Two): Blank Space

Bella and Vincent went to a coffee shop and decided to have a chat.

"What were you thinking when you bought that painting?" Bella promptly asked.

"I thought it was amazing." Vincent answered. Bella was stunned for a moment.

"What's inspires you?" he asked.

She took a sip from her cup and said, "My past love." looking him straight in the eye.

"Wow..." he said in amazement.

Bella cleared her throat, as things go a little bit too far.

"So what do you do for a living?" she asked, changing the topic.

"I'm an artist, like you" he said. "And I need someone to promote my work."

It got Bella pondering for a second. "That could be me." she said.

"Really? You would?" he asked eagerly.

"Artists help other artists. That's how it goes. At least I know someone who can help you." she said with a sparkle in her eyes.

"That's a deal?" he asked.

"Deal." she said as she and Vincent shook hands.

"Let's meet here tomorrow. I'll find a way to help you. I promise."

"Thanks." Vincent said as they walked out of the coffee shop.

"I'll drive you home."

"Okay." Bella said.

Vincent felt his jaw drop as he stopped the car at the front of Bella's home. Solid iron automatic slide gates stood in between the borders and an extensive lining of fir trees were visible from afar. Well-groomed plants adorned the edges of the walls. Never did he imagine her living in this enormous mansion. He accompanied Bella out of the car. The surprised look in his face was inevitable.

"You must be filthy rich." he said.

Bella replied a short laugh. They walked closer and stood by the gate.

"You want to go in?" she offered.

"I'd love to." Vincent said doubtfully.

"We just met an hour ago, I'm not ready to meet your parents." he said dauntingly.

Bella giggled, feeling surprised, embarrassed, and happy, all at once.

"I live alone." she said, biting her lip simultaneously. She can't help feeling blissful after he had shown so much concern.

"You live alone?" he said, quite shocked.

"You must get lonely a lot."

"I'm used to it. My parents divorced when I was younger. I didn't want to stay with either of them." she paused for a moment, surprised by how much she was telling him.

"So they agreed to buy me a home and let me live alone."

"That's harsh." he said, sympathetically.

Bella nodded her head, not knowing what to answer.