☆ ✿ || 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈.

He swirled his glass cup of iced tea in a circle, the ice cubes making a 'ting' sound as they hit each other and the glass. He looked you up and down, sighing and placing his cup back on the counter.

"You kiddin', kid?"

You shook your head no, making the big blue beagle chuckle lightly. It wasn't much of a shocker, but he sure as hell didn't expect those words coming out of your mouth.

"I done knew he was like that, he even asked me how to work the way with ya. Tsk, didn't think he had the guts though."

You shrugged, you had heard around the neighborhood that a certain someone was planning to do something special for you. Almost everyone knew you and Wally were... something.

"You ever just try to let him down? Tell him you ain't together?"
"I have but he—"
"Never took your words? Figures."

Nodding, Barnaby handed his cup of tea to you. You noticed he never drank it so you accepted, taking a sip of the sweet black tea that had a comforting cold temperature to it.

"If you had to run away from the fella, what makes you think hidin' here will help?"
"It's the last place he'd look."

Barnaby thought otherwise, but for the sake of you, he'd let you stay at his house for a bit. He was just happy you trust him enough to do this.

"Don't count your chickens before they've hatched."

You looked up at him, puzzled, he then laughed and walked up to you, patting your shoulder.

"Ma' taught me that one, just know that stayin' here might not be the brightest idea you've had, I can help you get to som—"

The sound of a knock interrupted him, it was a familiar knock. Barnaby looked at the door, then looked at you. You both knew who it was.

"Ah— Alright, listen, head over to my room and I'll try to distract him for a bit till he leaves. Sound easy, right?" He lowered his voice, he had noticed the uncertain look that appeared on your face, in which
made him ruffle your hair with his big paw.

"Don't worry, kid."

He gave you a smile before gently pushing you towards his room. The door then closed behind you and you were left in a mostly blue but colorful room, you first spotted a picture frame that sat on the nightstand near Barnaby's bed. It was a picture of a sweet looking chicken holding a small blue puppy, that must have been Barnaby and his mother.

You remember him once telling you about his mother, "The Chicken that Crossed the Road." You smiled as you took ahold of the picture frame and sat on the big comfy bed.

It'll only take a few minutes, then Barnaby would surely come and tell you the coast was clear.

You then heard their voices through the walls, slowing down your breathing to listen.

"Well, ain't it the one and only. How ya doin', kid?"

A more than usual happy Wally smiled as he looked up to his tall friend when the door opened.

"I've been swell. Have you seen my sweetheart? I can't seem to find them."

Barnaby crossed his arms and shook his head, chuckling.

"Don't tell me ya lost them now!"

Wally shook his head no, his hands behind his back. As Barnaby looked at his friend more, he noticed it wasn't Wally's normal stance... He was holding something behind his back.