Untitled Part 138

Chapter 402: Morale improvement (1)

"I think they're feeling better than we thought."

"But the fatigue that built up in their body will be inevitable. It's not the worst, but it doesn't seem very optimistic. I'd like for them to relax a little bit... but we're not in a situation where we can."

"You're right."

I saw Kim Hyunsung nodding. Even though Lee Jihye said she would care as much as she could, he seemed nervous.

I once again worried that he would complain about his tingling back, but fortunately, he didn't raise it up.

If it were a place where there were only two of us, it would seem that he would speak his mind immediately, but now that we were moving together among the troops, he couldn't do something like that. She wasn't dissing Kim Hyunsung, but I could certainly understand his thoughts.

'Yes, that's right, Hyunsung.'

"We will probably get there in a few hours. And they know we're heading there right now."

"Perhaps..."

"No. Of course, there is no guarantee that the same battle from before will occur again, but the terrain from here to our destination isn't suitable for ambushes. The enemy troops we've just faced were just surplus troops picked up from each front. Their only goal was to buy some time. Additionally, sending other troops to us separately would be a difficult decision for the Republic. They've got everything they want from the battle we just had."

"For example, what?"

"You can think of it as information, time, and physical condition."

"Ah..."

"Of course, the burden on our side has piled up, but they also can't relax. The Republic is probably feeling a lot of pressure mentally. Even if they're pushing the western and northern fronts, they'll want to recover a lot of their investment in the Castle Rock side. If we're lucky..."

"This could be the last battle."

"Yes. Even if the war continues, it won't go the way it is now."

'He is meticulous, though.'

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that we were not the only ones who were betting on the next battle.

Sending surplus troops to this side could mean that they would try to hold us back, but it was also to grasp our exact power. It's safe to think that it was deployed simply to check what cards we had.

It meant that our side was already rushing with all the cards that could be used. Tactic Kim Hyunsung was the most prominent example.

I wanted to hide it, but...

'It's not something that I can just hide easily.'

If Kim Hyunsung had not been put in, there was a high possibility that we would still be fighting there. It was evident that he knew we were getting nervous. I knew that the demon summoner was trying to get information from our side by putting Castle Rock as bait, but I had no choice but to reveal some of our cards.

Hiding his cards as much as possible and checking our cards. The way he got under someone's skin, controlling the details, in a way, felt like he's a perv.

Of course, this worked just as well. The fact that we didn't have a good grasp of Castle Rock's forces was also an extension of that. If I self-evaluated the overall situation, the one who was buying time was the Republic; hence we're the one who's pressuring them.