Chapter 7- Always So Determined

When Gon woke up from his dream of Whale Island, the first thing he noticed was Killua's steady breath. In. . . and out. It was surprisingly soothing to Gon. He didn't remember how he got there, but he was glad he had. He propped himself up and looked at Killua, seeing that he was still asleep, Gon kissed Killu's neck, and rested his head against the other boy's chest; falling back asleep.

The next time Gon woke up, it was to Killu shaking him awake.

"Gon! Get up! It's time for breakfast!" Killua said.

"Ow ow ow! Okay! But I'm sore and I don't know why!" Gon cried.

"Do you really not know why?" Killua asked, blinking.

"Nope. No clue." Gon said, confused.

"It's because my dad tried to assassinate you last night, -that bastard- now do you remember?" Killua said angrily.

Gon thought for a couple seconds before remembering. "Oh! Yeah! With the gunpowder and the nen version of you!"

Now Killua looked both confused and disturbed.

"Nen, version, of. . . me?" Killu asked.

"Yep!" Gon said nervously.

"How strange..." Killu thought aloud. "Anyway can you get changed and then join me for breakfast in the dining room?" Killu tossed Gon some clothes and walked out.

"Oh. Okay!" Gon said.

Gon got changed and made his way down to the dining room, but instead of entering it immediately, he waited outside when he heard a very heated argument coming from inside.

"Well that still doesn't justify it!"

"Get off the table! Yes it does! If he dies he's unfit!"

"Gon really is something special!"

"Shut up Hisoka!"

"No need to get so worked up, he survived after all."

"Doesn't mean father won't do it again!"

"You're correct. I will test him."

"Don't you dare hurt my Gon, father!"

"He's my fruit."

"I already told you to shut up Hisoka!"

"He's standing outside the door."

Gon awkwardly walked in after hearing that, and the scene before him kind of scared him. Silva was red as a beet and Killua was on the table with his face mere inches from his father's. Alluka was sitting in the corner blocking it out. Illumi was sitting on Hioka's lap, and Hisoka was wearing the most inappropriate outfit he owned.

"Hehehe," Gon awkwardly laughed and took a seat next to Killua, who had climbed back into his chair.

Breakfast was deadly silent, and anger shot like sparks between Silva and Killua. The only interruption was an occasional moan from Illumi as Hisoka did god-knows-what to him under the table, which warranted a disgusted groan from everyone else each time it happened.

~~~~~~~~~

"My family sucks." Killua said to Gon as he kicked a pebble in the trail.

Killua had invited Gon to a quiet walk through nature, and this is where it had led.

"I don't think they suck, I think they're unique! Like a new challenge to overcome!" Gon said happily.

There it was again, that irresistible glimmer in his eyes. It never failed to make Killua blush a bit.

"How do you always have so much determination?" Killua asked, turning to Gon. "Even when life throws you so much shit, how are you so happy?"

Gon was caught off guard by Killua's question, but he didn't really have to think on it.

"Well, I guess it's just because I know that I always have people I need to protect, and help, people worth fighting for, and I should never give up, not for them, not for anything; because some people are especially worth it." Gon smiled. "I guess I want you to be able to have faith in me, kinda needy, right? Sorry."

"No, it's not needy. I guess it's an answer that Im jealous of, I wish I could say the same thing. About the people, cuz I only have a single person I would fight for." Killua said shamefully.

"I have multipul people," Gon clarified, "But I really care for one in particular."

The boys walked in silence the rest of the time, each lost in their own thoughts.

~~~~~~~

The boys were both laying on Killua's bed, gaming on their phones, when Killua got a message.

Leorio: Hey, I haven't messaged you in a while, but word gets around and I heard you were hanging out with Gon, you guys wanna get some coffee together? Tomorrow maybe?

"Hey Gon, check this out." Killua said, handing his phone to Gon.

"Leorio's in town!? Awesome! We should totally go! Please please please Killua!" Gon said, reading the message.

"Okay, I'll tell him to meet us at Machi's Coffee at 8 am." Killua said.

"Okay!" Gon said, overjoyed.

"Right now, though, it's time for the rest of a terrible day filled with my terrible family."

"Stop being so negative!" Gon glared at Killua.