the summer i turned pretty| seven

Belly

Me and Cory decided to start slow for the first day - we didn't want to look like we were just jumping into things because then it wouldn't look as real.

Our plan was to look like we were secretly trying to meet up, but like not be secretive about it, and every day add new steps of publicity to the fake relationship.

If you had asked me "belly why are you doing this?" I honestly wouldn't have an answer I would be willing to say. Something deep inside me won't allow me to admit it's because of him.

"bells are you kidding everyone saw that" jere said catching me and Cory "secretly" holding hands in line for lunch.

"are you serious? I'm trying to keep this on the down low?" I said trying to sound real.

"then maybe don't hold hands in the school cafeteria" jere laughed to himself.

"Can i come over after school?" I asked changing the subject- i hate lying to him.

"Don't you wanna hang out with math boy?" He teased
I looked at him seriously
"just joking! touchy subject" he teased again
I laughed and slapped his arm
"just come home with me, i would have to take you home anyways right?" He asked
i nodded.

We had small talk for the rest of lunch planning what we were gonna do tonight since it's a Wednesday and there aren't any parties.

Finally the bell rang and it was time for Cory to walk me to class.

Not even gonna lie we have gotten pretty close with this whole pretending thing. He's a pretty cool dude but I would never like him as more than a friend.

Double win we walked past his ex AND we walked past Conrad... except he just glared at Cory.

In me and Cory's actual class together there wasn't much more we could do since we didn't sit by each other but we would still take subtle glances at each other

The day had finally ended and I got to go home with jere except i forgot Conrad had driven this morning which meant he had to drive us.

"She's going to our house so you can just drive straight home" jere said as Conrad started the car.

"Surprised you aren't going to your boyfriends house" he said looking at me through his rear view mirror.

I scoffed rolling my eyes- that's exactly what jere said.

"he has practice after school so he couldn't" i made an excuse. Conrad just chuckled .

What was he laughing about? Did he know I was lying?

Once we got their house me and jere but our backpacks down and then went straight mall where we were gonna get trendy items we saw advertisements for on social media we wanted to try out.

We were there for about 3 hours shopping, buying food, hanging out before we eventually headed home to try all of our new stuff.

I stayed there til about 8.

When I opened jeres bedroom door to leave i was greeted with nothing other than Conrad and Gigi making out on his bed.

Susannah should have just let them close the door.

This time seeing it felt different then when I saw them at the party. You couldn't just use the excuse oh he was drunk or oh it was just at a party because it wasn't.

They were alone.
in his bedroom
making out.

I stood there for about 15 seconds before realizing i was staring.

"stop staring jelly"
Gigi yelled annoyingly before I ran away. Conrad had just looked at me blankly.
Gigi had never called me the right name.

I wasn't even mad. I wasn't even disgusted.
I guess disappointed?
But I wasn't- i mean maybe with Gigi i was yea but never.- how could I be disappointed with him.

I called Cory up. I felt like i was in a competition with Conrad

"Hey Cory!..... Yea i Have and idea....."

Maybe it wasn't a great idea and it wasn't even guaranteed chance he would see me. But hey it wasn't guaranteed i would see them tonight and I did

the next morning

"I think Cory's gonna take me today jere sorry"
I sent a quick message to jere

I told Cory to park in the parking spot in front of where they usually park.

And we made out for 20 minutes before the first bell rang.

I am actually not sure if they even saw me but when we had stopped their car was there.

As I walked into school jere came up to me.

"did you do that on purpose" he said sounding low-key annoyed.

"do what?" I asked playing dumb
He looked at me.

"do what jere?" I said acting scared

"belly you and math boy were making out right in front of where we were parked" jere said acting like I was dumb.

I gasped. "no no no no!" I squealed.

"oh my god he told me that's where all the nerds who wouldn't know us park" i said making up a quick lie.

"wait but don't you park at the light?" I asked

"I drove with Conrad today" jere said lightening up

I covered for myself as we walked to our first hour.

Secretly butterflies stirred inside me having heard that news.

TELL A FRIEND TO TELL A FRIEND
SHES BAAACK