Chapter 29

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 29

Aiden

We got lucky. And that's putting it mildly. By the time we reached the opening of the cave, we had been wading through the rough waves, our arms linked together keeping ourselves afloat. We got to the opening and started our descent only to see a set of headlights on the beach below.

We couldn't stay in the cave, and our only option is to climb down. We are exposed on the rocks. Open for anyone to attack us. After everything that has happened, I can't dismiss the thought that we could be killed.

"Do you know that vehicle?" Sawyer asks as we stop cautiously on a ledge when the jeep stops in the sand below.

"No." And that's not very comforting.

Our only way to the house is across the beach. This little cove is private property. Grandma owns this beach as well as the field. They bought up a lot of land around the house when Blake hit it big in the league. He had some seriously crazy fans from what Grandma says. So no one besides the family should be down here.

And not recognizing the jeep makes me think it's that jerk who was arguing with Hunter or the guy who took Riley. Whoever it is will only find trouble if they mess with us. I'm not in the mood for playing nice.

"What do you want to do?" Sawyer rubs Riley's arms trying to warm her up.

No, I'm not in the mood for anymore bullshit. "We find out who's trespassing and kick some ass."

Sawyer nods, and cracks his knuckles. "I'm game."

The vehicle stayed at the base of the cliff. Looking across the beach, the steps waited that led to Point Conception. If we could get across the beach, run as fast as possible, we could get to the house. It's the most secure place I know. There isn't anywhere I feel safer.

"Riley, you have to do exactly as I say. You hit the beach and run straight to the house!" I order the woman below me.

"Straight to the house!" Sawyer agreed.

"Who is that?" The fear in Riley's voice bothers me. If she doesn't do as I say, if she gets hurt, we're screwed. There's no way to run and carry her too.

"Doesn't matter. You run! As soon as your feet hit the sand, Riley! Don't wait! Don't look back, you fucking run as fast as you can for the house. Do you understand me?" There's no option. I won't let anyone hurt her again. If that means I sacrifice myself for her, I will.

And that's something I would never have done for Leighton.

Sawyer hit the sand first. With water rushing around his ankles, he waited for Riley. I appreciate that. The jeep sits directly between us and the house. We can't get around it without dealing with whoever is in the car.

There's only one thing to do.

"Take her! Don't let go of her! I'll deal with our visitor, but Sawyer? You protect her with your life. She's precious to me." Riley looks between us, realizing what I was saying.

Her head shook as she latched onto my arm. "No! No! I'm not worth your life! Aiden, if it's him, he will kill you! He'll kill all of us! There has to be another way."

Taking her hand in mine. I kiss the back of it and realize this is it. This is the moment. It's now or never. "I'm not leaving you. I won't lose you. I won't risk you. I love you more than anything Riley. You are the first person I want to see every morning and the last one I see at night. Marry me."

Sawyer spins around, taking his eyes off our friend in the car to stare incredulously at me. "Now? You're going to do this right now? Don't you think you should wait until we get to the house at least?"