27 Bets

October 22, 2005

As Yūki walked into Valhalla's hideout, someone roughly bumped into him. He was about to yell at the person, but when he looked up he saw Baji glaring down at him.

A condescending smirk made its way onto Yūki's face. "Hey Keisuke, how's Valhalla treating you?"

Baji's eye twitched at the use of his first name. "What'd you just call me?"

Yūki took a step forward, tilting his head back to keep eye contact with Baji. "Something wrong with that, Keisuke?" His smirk widened as he continued to tease him.

Before Baji could retaliate however, Kazutora came running up with a smile. "I didn't think you'd show up today, Viper!"

Yūki turned and gave Kazutora a convincing smile. "Kasu! Ya, a few people canceled their appointments, so I was free today." Yūki gave Baji a quick smirk then walked toward Kazutora.

"It's Kazutora, not 'Kasu'. Get it right." Baji growled as he glared at Yūki.

"It's fine Baji! He's been calling me that since I was in juvie."

"Plus," Yūki put his arm around Kazutora's neck, making him bend slightly. "I think Kasu fits him perfectly." He smiled almost innocently at Baji, but he knew better.

"What do you mean 'since juvie'?" Baji asked Kazutora, hoping that it didn't mean what he thought it meant.

"Hmm, oh, he's the other one who was writing to me." Kazutora smiled at him. "You know, the one I was telling you about."

Baji's face tensed up when he heard that, and Yūki's seemingly never-ending smile didn't help.

Kazutora had been telling him about this person who started sending him letters about a month after he was sent to juvie. Baji tried to tell him not to listen to the letters, or even better yet, not write back. But Kazutora was desperate for any source of friendship he could get. Baji slowly saw Kazutora change, so slowly in fact, that he didn't realize it until it was too late.

Though Baji wanted to pretend that it wasn't true, the smile on Yūki's face made it impossible to do. He finally realized just how hard it would be to get Kazutora back to Toman, for one of his best friends was already wrapped in the Viper's coils.

"Yo, Viper!" The three of them turned and watched as Chrome walked up. "You owe me for taking my chips yesterday."

Yūki laughed as he let go of Kazutora. "I've been stealing your food since you joined." He patted Chrome's shoulder as he walked past him.

"What if we bet on it?" Yūki froze and looked over his shoulder, urging Chrome to continue. "Whoever loses has to buy whatever snacks the winner wants."

Yūki slowly put his hands in his pockets as he turned around. "Well since I'll win either one, you pick. We can fight, or we can play poker." He smiled up at Chrome as he taunted him. "Again, no matter what I'll win."

Chrome always liked a challenge, so he smirked down at Yūki. "Both, whoever wins both or is more impressive, wins."

Yūki smiled widely at this. "Whoever wants to play poker against me and Chrome, go to the stage!" He yelled, before looking back at his opponent. "Best two out of three?"

Not bothering to hear his answer, Yūki ran into the back room and came out with a few packs of cards. Both Yūki and Chrome chose to have Choji as the dealer as people circled around. All of the lower-ranking members decided to just take bets amongst themselves as to who would win. The only people that were playing were Yūki, Chrome, Hanma, Kazutora, and Baji. Chonbo decided not to play, instead he helped with the bets, stealing from people every now and then.