chapter 11

You leave Albertson's with probably too many snacks and soda. Miyuki says none of it passes with the meal plans they're on, Eijun says what they don't know won't hurt them and also it's just one day. You don't particularly care. You like food. None of that other stuff matters much to you so long as you enjoy it.

The three of you spend the rest of the day at Eijun's apartment, where you later watch the Home-Run Derby as it airs from Dodger Stadium, the best batters in the MLB going head-to-head. Shirasu does pretty well, making it to the final round before losing to another player.

You spend the night as usual and so does Miyuki.

In the morning Eijun helps you make pancakes for breakfast. You get the responsibility of waking up Miyuki.

"He's such a sloth when it comes to sleep," Eijun grumbles.

"Not everyone rises with the sun like you," you say fondly, wiping your hands on the apron wrapped on the lower half of your body before untying it and hanging it over the stool at the island.

You push open the door to the guest bedroom.

Light from the entire front area of the apartment helps to illuminate the bedroom, where Eijun also has blackout curtains. Your eyes find the Miyuki-shaped lump in the middle of the Queen-sized bed, sheets tangled and drawn up his neck.

You chuckle softly then stride towards the windows facing the bed, swiftly yanking the curtains open, bright mid-morning sunlight spilling into the room.

Miyuki does not stir.

You realize why when you turn with a huff. A black sleep mask covers his eyes.

Fine. You guess you will take a gentle approach since your aggressive one didn't work.

You approach the bed.

While Eijun snores and snuffles and talks in his sleep (especially when he's really tired), Miyuki sleeps silently. Deep, silent breaths through his nose. Dark brown hair mussed and messy from sleep. Morning stubble clear to you this close to him.

You nudge his shoulder. "Hey, it's time to get up."

Not even a stir.

You shake his shoulder a little harder. "Miyuki. Come on. Breakfast is ready."

Nothing.

Okay. Aggressive approach again.

You yank the blankets off him.

That finally does it.

He groans, limbs shifting.

You grab a pillow, hitting him gently on the stomach. "Time to get up, Miyuki."

"Why?" he groans.

"It's about to be eleven. Eijun believes it is socially acceptable to wake you up now."

"'S not true," he mumbles, rolling over and tugging the sheets back over his body. "Nothing socially acceptable about this."

"Don't be dramatic. We went to bed at eleven. You got your full nine hours of sleep and then some."

"God forbid a man indulge in life's simple pleasures."

You bite your lip to hold in a laugh. Damn him.

"Come on. We made pancakes."

"Mmm, so you need me to call poison control when you eat?"

"Stop being funny and get up."

You lean over and wiggle your fingers under his eye mask at the bridge of his nose, feeling his sleep-warmed skin for a fleeting second before you lift the mask, stretching it away from his face.