chapter 14

The next morning you stay in while they head out for the stadium at ten. It's earlier than usual, which is why you elect to sleep in.

You wake up a few hours later, eat breakfast, then pack up and head out. You take the light rail as usual, the rail that runs throughout Seattle; all the way from North Gate, which is a neighborhood north of Ravenna, and all the way south to SeaTac, past SoDo, past Georgetown.

From downtown, it's a fairly direct route from the apartments to the stadium that only takes a little under half an hour. Better than the bus since the traffic around the stadium can get a little hectic, even if the game isn't starting until four.

After changing, you find the clubhouse is busier than usual when you enter. It's not just players hanging around, but the 'non-essentials' as well. Ballboys, bat boys, the grounds crew, like Neil, which is a tad unusual but if this meeting is for everyone, then you guess he should be here, too. You just expected him to be running around like he usually is before games. Jonathan is there, too, smiling and waving from where he's conversing with someone else. So is Tess, with a few other photographers.

Miyuki and Eijun are nowhere to be found but that's to be expected. You're going to pop out to grab a drink from the vending machine before Jimenez appears, stopping you.

"Glad you're here. Don't head out yet, we're gonna start the meeting."

"Oh, uh, okay."

He claps his hands, whistling, calling for whoever is playing the music in one of the corners of the clubhouse to shut it off. Soon enough, all the players and grounds crew are clustered around Jimenez.

Tony joins your side.

"You know what this is about?" you ask him quietly.

"No sé."

Must be big if he wants everyone here for it, you think, watching him scan the room.

You do the same and are unable to find Miyuki and Eijun. Though they could be towards the back, behind some of the taller players, you suppose.

"Right," Jimenez says, clapping his hands as it falls completely silent. "Thank you all for coming in. I know some of you probably have better things to be doing, with how close we are to starting the game —"

"Some of us?" a player jeers good-naturedly. People laugh.

He grins. "I know, I know. I'm taking you away from your deeply elaborate pre-game rituals but I promise Babe Ruth won't mind."

More laughter. You exhale a laugh, too.

"It's not bad news, either. Some of you look like I'm about to tell you I put down your dog. No, that's not what's happening. In fact, it's good news — great news. As you all know, Mr. Stanton is the owner of this team. He is so pleased with how we've been doing, he wanted to do something for us. Now, we all know the players are paid some big bucks, so, little we can do there without getting into some crazy territory. But —"

He pauses for effect, smiling. "He has agreed to allot a bigger chunk of funds into training and travel expenses." Which means better training facilities and equipment and better traveling accommodations. Seems a bit frivolous in your opinion but whatever floats their boat, you guess. Across from you, you meet Neil's eyes, and he gives a discreet roll of his eyes that makes you hide a smile.

The players cheer for that. Jimenez holds out his hands.

"And," he continues when everyone has calmed down, "he's also decided to raise the salary of all grounds crew members, including our bat and ball people. It's not temporary, it's permanent."