[ track 12 ] wildflower

┏━━━━ •❃°•°❀°•°❃• ━━━━┓
chapter twelve
" Let the rain fall down upon her
She's a free and gentle flower
Growing wild. "
┗━━━━ •❃°•°❀°•°❃• ━━━━┛

NOW PLAYING: "WILDFLOWER" by SKYLARK (1972)

___________

RORY GOES HOME with Camila the day they discover Billy's infidelity.

She feels slighted and deceived — and not to mention stupid, or stupidly naïve — that she had taken her friends' words at face value and not questioned why Billy disappeared so often. However, she knows that none of her anger and pain can amount to what Camila must be feeling. To be cheated on by the man whose child you are carrying, who you trusted wholeheartedly... it must feel like the world is caving in on her.

But Camila handles everything with her head high. She continues working as a photographer for a local newspaper like nothing had happened. At first, Rory had been dumbfounded by the unexpected reaction, but now she realizes that Camila is acting in the only way she knows how to. If she breaks, she may not get back up again. There are tiny signs that hint at the ongoing war in her heart: her neck is a little too stiff, her smiles are strained, and her laughter is not as musical as it usually is.

The last few months while The Six is off on tour bring Rory and Camila closer than they've ever been before. They bake so many goods that Rory becomes infamous at Sunset Records not only for the raging success of The Black Veil, but also for the sweets she brings with her for the other employees to try. They teach each other traditional dances from their home countries and put vases of flowers in the kitchen. Though both women are struggling in their own ways, they recognize that, sometimes, the best way to heal their inner darkness is with whatever bits of joy they can scrape together.

Graham calls one day and Rory hangs up on him before he can finish a single sentence.

When Camila's stomach is too big for her to put on her shoes, Rory is the one to wedge them onto her swollen feet. When Camila is put on bed rest, Rory picks up all the chores and maintains the house herself. And when Camila goes into labor, Rory is the one who drives her to the hospital.