Chapter Twenty-Six: The Dangerous Truth

The weeks trickled by quickly and without any incidents. In the bustle of current events, I found myself on the day before the award ceremony of the J Novel Prize, staring at my laptop screen with a conflicted expression. I was reading the official announcement over and over again, but it never really sunk in until now. Yudai Koizumi, nominated as the final candidate. Great... I ran a hand through my hair, not knowing how to feel about it. He was my friend so I wanted to be happy for him, but his method of earning the prize cancelled out all cause for celebration. Now because of his choices, I had to be the one to take it all away from him. I hated that it had come to this.

At my side, I heard my phone vibrate on the couch cushion. I lifted it up to see a simple text from Mirai.

Preparations are in order. Looking forward to the big day.

I can't say I agree with you, Mirai... I'm not looking forward to this at all.

The next day at the award ceremony, Chief and I were standing amongst other people of the press in a large auditorium. We were surrounded by more magazines then I knew existed, all gathered to get a story off the fresh new talent that was Yudai. The room was filled with murmurs and laughter, but I stood in solemn silence. My head was buzzing with too many instructions.

"The literary department's gone out on a limb for this." Chief breathed out, obviously mesmerized by the fancy decor. He couldn't keep his eyes off the high ceiling and priceless furniture.

"Mmhm," I hummed. I mentally repeated the steps I had to go through later, recounting everything Mirai told me to do. I didn't want to miss a step or make a mistake. He wouldn't let me write down what he said since it left physical evidence, so I was especially concerned.

"Hm? What are you staring off into space for?"

I blinked in realization that I had been standing stock still with my eyes trained on my armband. Faking ignorance, I gave a convincing yawn. "Sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night." It wasn't a complete lie. I had been up almost all night fretting over the ceremony. Fuko pumped me full of energy drinks when she found me passed out on the kitchen table this morning, so I was currently pulsing with more energy than my body could process.

Chief nudged me in the side. "Hey, keep it together. You've got the schedule for today in your head, right?"

I actually have more important things in there right now, but work must come first. I took in a deep to collect myself. "Yes, sir. At six they'll announce the grand prize and hold the award ceremony. Thirty minutes later there with be a press conference, and at seven they'll hold the after party. Is that correct?"

He nodded. "Correct. You'll be covering the press conference. You will get introduced to the recipient at the party afterwards. Make sure to exchange business cards and show some strong appeal, alright?"

"Yes, sir."

"Of course, if Yudai Koizumi wins the grand prize, it won't be any problem at all," he chuckled. I nibbled on my bottom lip.

"Do...do you think he'll win?" I questioned, twisting the strap of my bag.

Chief checked the people surrounding us before lowering his head to whisper in my ear. "Just between you and me... Koizumi's pretty much got it in the bag. So make sure to grab him and discuss a serial story with us. Got it?"

Cinderella wants to serialize Yudai!? Oh, boy. I certainly won't be the one to volunteer for a editor-in-charge role again. I've had enough of that role to last a lifetime.

Chief and I chatted a bit more about the ceremony before I checked the time on my phone. Almost time to meet up with Mirai. I excused myself with a lie that I needed to use the bathroom, heading down a hallway with my head ducked, thoughts racing. Yudai has it in the bag, huh? If he hadn't plagiarized Hirose, he wouldn't have nearly so much to celebrate. I wonder if he'll ever forgive me for announcing his plagiarism in front of everyone. Mirai volunteered to be the one to ask him the pressuring questions, but I need to do it too. God, I hope I'm making the right choices here. Maybe Hirose was right, I shouldn't have involved myself in where I'm not needed. I was so consumed in my thoughts, I almost missed the loud voice coming from a door I just walked past.

Sleepless NightsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara