𝐯𝐢. then it was four.

❪ 𝗗𝗘𝗩𝗜𝗟'𝗦 𝗔𝗗𝗩𝗢𝗖𝗔𝗧𝗘 ❫

𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗌𝗂𝗑 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━then it was four

then it was four. ╱ season four, episode eleven.

THERE'S NEVER REALLY moments where Frankie is truly overwhelmed, but here she is, watching from the other side of the curtain as most of their new-found group makes their way down the driveway, conversing with an occasional smile of amusement. Frankie wanted nothing more than to be alongside them, pester Carl a little bit more, and make a smile peak onto his lips.

Frankie hadn't had the opportunity to see Carl's true grief just yet, she realized since she had come into his life she had been a sort of distraction for the boy. She was able to distract him with her snarkiness and humor, he had the chance to forget about his world for a little bit. She could tell Rick was keeping a close eye on the both of them as they conversed for most of the morning. Frankie couldn't tell his true feeling about her, but every time the boy laughed at something she said, she noticed relief spread through the older man's features. By the reaction, she knew she was slowly getting herself in his good graces, and that's all she wanted.

But the relief quickly subsided as she saw Carl's grief come shining through. It started to change when Carl sat and ate cereal with Frankie and Michonne. Frankie had quickly found herself liking Michonne from the moment the woman introduced herself. The woman was guarded most definitely, but the moment the woman was around Carl, Frankie knew how much Michonne cared for him by how her guard was instantly down the moment she looked at the young boy.

The three of them soon found themselves in a good rhythm, and Frankie was starting to think about her decision of joining was going to be a good thing. Jokes and smiles of amusement were thrown around as they all ate breakfast. Frankie was focusing on Carl and Michonne, but occasionally her eyes would fall toward the looming gaze of Charlie, as he watched the three of them with a scowl. Frankie wanted to call him out and snap at him, but she knew that would do no good. She hated when someone disliked her, especially when he didn't even bother to get to know her.

She lost focus of the back and forth that Carl and Michonne were having, only focusing on the dark brown eyes that were searing into her head. But she quickly was brought back when she felt an eery and cold silence fall throughout the table.

Frankie quickly remembered subconsciously hearing Carl's voice rise in amusement as he spoke without thinking, his tone only showing amusement. "I would rather eat Judith's formula-"

But the second he uttered those words, his reality hit him roughly. His face dropped and Frankie connected the dots. She watched as he visibly and internally shut down right in front of her eyes. It was long before he stumbled to his feet with a gulp, quickly dismissing himself from the table, eyes glazing over with grief as he did so.