Keep trying.

Zenitsu woke up, surrounded by white light. It felt like he was awake, but at the time, he felt like he was still trying to wake up.

"Zenitsu."

Zenitsu turned his head, and it felt like the joy of his life had finally found him.

His mentor, Jigoro Kuwajima, was sitting next to him. However, he looked...sad. And disappointed.

"Zenitsu, why would you do that.."

"Huh?"

Zenitsu was confused. Jigoro should be happy that his student has finally come to join him, like he was supposed to five years ago.

"How could you try to throw your life away like that...you've been offered a second chance, and you tried to deny it."

"But...I was supposed to die long ago. I shouldn't be here."

"You were never supposed to die, Zenitsu!! I told you to survive!!"

"But I-"

"Zenitsu!! Listen to me!"

Zenitsu instantly shut himself up.

"I knew very well you weren't supposed to die. I could feel it. I knew he would save you, Zenitsu. He's given you a chance to live again, so take it."

"B-But, I'm a demon now..."

"You may be a demon, but you can still live a good life. Just don't eat humans, and be like Kaigaku."

"Be like Kaigaku...?"

"Zenitsu, he lied to you. He isn't not eating humans because he's getting used to his demon form. He's not eating humans because he doesn't have the heart to eat humans. He's realised what he has done to himself, and wants to try a change. That's why he saved you, and gave you a second chance."

"But...the reason you died was because of him...you had to kill yourself because of him."

"That may be true. But what matters is that he regrets it. This entire time, Kaigaku has been lurking around villages and forests, trying to find you. He even tried to avoid a fight with a hashira to get to you."

Zenitsu stayed quiet.

"I don't want to see either of you suffer anymore. When all of this is over, I want you to live in peace. I don't want you to be fighting with each other."

Jigoro sighed.

"And I don't want either of you to die. Survive the fight, Zenitsu. Live in peace with him. I believe you can do it...."

Jigoro's voice was fading now.

"Wait, gramps! I-"

"Zenitsu, please listen. I don't have much time left..."

Zenitsu shut himself up again.

"Please, survive. Use this opportunity to get closer with him. Find a cure and turn yourself back into humans. I believe in you...."

Zenitsu gently closed his eyes. The words of his mentor stuck in his mind.

"...As long as you keep trying, you'll get there in the end...I believe in you, Zenitsu Agatsuma..."

Those were the last words Zenitsu heard before he woke up to an angry Kaigaku staring down at him.