Moment of Grief.

It has been five years. Five years since Tanjiro has last seen Zenitsu alive. It devastates Tanjiro to even think about what could've happened that night, the night he remembers clearly, and the night he'll never forget.

Zenitsu, Tanjiro, and Inosuke had all been sent on separate missions. Zenitsu's mission took place in a forest, where people had apparently been going missing. Ubuyashiki believed this demon may have been a lower moon. Otherwise, Zenitsu wouldn't have had a problem trying to kill this demon.

Ubuyashiki decided to send the Flame Hashira to check the area after Zenitsu never came back from his mission. Tanjiro felt extremely nervous that night. The thought of what could have possibly happened to his friend made him feel overwhelmed. And poor Nezuko. She didn't seem to understand what was happening, and was mainly nervous because Tanjiro was nervous. Still, she tried her best to comfort him. And Inosuke. Tanjiro had never seen Inosuke look more nervous in his life. Inosuke had been pacing back and fourth, a sense of dread and fear coming from him, which was rare for Inosuke. It was quite obvious he had a lot on his mind at that moment. But unfortunately, things were only about to get worse. Shinobu had also stayed with them for support and company, and also decided to be the one to give them whatever news was to be brought to them.

Tanjiro could feel the dread creeping up his system as Shinobu left to talk to Rengoku after he'd come back. The last time Tanjiro had ever felt this kind of dread, was when he was approaching his home, about to discover almost his entire family slaughtered.

Tanjiro struggled to remember what happened next, as he felt extremely lightheaded trying to absorb the information given to him. All he remembers is the look of sadness on Shinobu's face when she came to deliver the news.

"I'm so sorry Tanjiro, Inosuke...but unfortunately, Zenitsu Agatsuma has died..."

The last thing Tanjiro remembers before fainting from anxiety was the cries of Inosuke echoing through his ears.

After Zenitsu's death was announced, nothing was really the same. Of course, the news spread around to everyone in the Butterfly estate, and they were all quite sad, but there was one person in particular that changed almost completely. That person was Aoi.

Zenitsu and Aoi didn't usually get along quite well due to one annoying the other. Even thought that was the case, Aoi wasn't afraid to admit she found it entertaining herself. Zenitsu and Aoi had also started to improve their friendship, meaning Zenitsu would annoy Aoi less. Aoi also told Tanjiro how she wished to make good friends with everyone in the Demon Slayer Corps, so that would include Zenitsu in the list.

However, when Aoi was informed of Zenitsu's death, she changed. Aoi would look more duller than normal. She would rarely smile at all, and she always looked a little sad. Aoi just really have cared about Zenitsu that much, and she must have really missed him that much.

A memorial was created for Zenitsu a few days later, due to Rengoku being unable to retrieve his body, as it had mysteriously 'disappeared' when he went back for him. According to Kanao, Aoi sat near Zenitsu's memorial for almost two hours. But then again, that's nothing compared to Inosuke, who spent almost an entire day sitting near Zenitsu's memorial, begging to 'wake up from his terrible nightmare'. Tanjiro felt extremely bad for Inosuke, as he too wishes he was just trapped in a terrible nightmare.

Of course, after a few years, things improved, but it still wasn't the same. The Kamaboko squad just wasn't the same without Zenitsu. It felt empty almost....

But then again, Tanjiro was also happy....happy that Zenitsu had found eternal peace. Away from the demons, and whatever else bad that was happening at the time. But it doesn't change the fact that Tanjiro still mourns over Zenitsu, even after five years, when the entire squad had grown up, except him.

Tanjiro just wishes there was something that could've been done to prevent Zenitsu's death.. perhaps an alternative...

But Tanjiro knows that an alternative to his death would've never happened anyway...since death is unpreventable.

All Tanjiro can do is sit and grieve over the loss of his friend...and promise him that he will defeat the Demon King..and maybe even make him feel even more at peace.

But for now, Tanjiro may have to go through a few more moments of grief before fully accepting the death of his friend, from five years ago....