Bondings of Shock and Denial

Kaigaku looked down on Zenitsu, eyes of anger.

Zenitsu didn't know how to speak at this point. He was shocked. He didn't have enough time to process everything. Kaigaku suddenly grabbed Zenitsu's clothes and pulled him up.

"Do you have any idea what you were trying to do?! You almost killed yourself, you idiot!!"

Zenitsu stayed silent.

"You can't just leave the infinity castle like that...not when it's day!!"

"That was intentional..."

"Eh?"

Zenitsu looked at Kaigaku with teary eyes.

"I did it on purpose. I don't want to be a demon, Kaigaku. I want to be a human. I want to go back to how it was before. I thought that if I was quick enough, I could end it all....and be where I belonged...."

"...Zenitsu...I..."

Kaigaku sighed.

"Right. I'm keeping an eye on you from now on. I'm not having you go out and endanger your life for a second time."

Zenitsu looked around the room. It looked like the same room he first woke up in, just a lot bigger.

"How did you even manage to catch me..."

"I saw you looking at the door. I knew you were going to do it the minute I saw you. And of course, I ran after you."

Kaigaku sighed before continuing on.

"You were quite fast...Fortunately, you weren't fast enough. I caught you just on time....and then you just fainted."

"And you stopped me?"

"Well, I..."

Zenitsu tried his best to be as angry as he could at Kaigaku for stopping him, but he could barely get any anger out. He was more... shocked than he was angry.

"Look, Zenitsu.."

Kaigaku sat opposite Zenitsu, whose head hung down, not letting Kaigaku look at his face of shock.

"I promised Kuwajima I wouldn't let anything bad happen to you before he died. He told me it was my duty to take care of you if something were to happen to him..which something did..."

"Kaigaku, do you..care about me?"

"I..pardon?"

"Do you care about me?"

"Of course I don't!! I'm only doing this because it would make Kuwajima happy!!"

Zenitsu looked up at Kaigaku. There was something in his tone that was making it obvious he was lying. Did Kaigaku really care about him? For all these years, Zenitsu thought Kaigaku had some hatred towards him, treating him like he wasn't worthy of being a demon slayer. But I guess even the most cruel people have the warmest hearts.

"Why are you smiling?"

"Eh."

"I said, why are you smiling?"

"I'm smiling?"

"Uh, yeah."

Zenitsu didn't even realise he was smiling. I guess the thought of the person he thought hated him the most be the one to care about him made him feel happy.

"I'm..glad that you uh...took your time to care for me, Kaigaku."

"Yeah, yeah... just don't start continuously thanking me or whatever..."

"Don't worry, I won't."

Zenitsu gave Kaigaku a genuine smile. And he could've sworn he saw the edge of Kaigaku's lip curve a bit.

"So, uh...what now?"

"Well, first things first.. I think we should cut your hair."

"Eh?!"

"Didn't you see it just a few hours ago?! You look like a male Rapunzel with that hair!"

"Hey!! I actually like having long hair!!"

"Do you, though?"

"Yeah!! It's soft... and I feel more comfortable."

"Oh for fucks..-fine. We can keep a medium amount of hair. But we're not keeping all of it."

"I'm fine with that."

Zenitsu smiled warmly at Kaigaku. If there was any time to bond with Kaigaku, now would be it.