1 | State of Grace

October 27th ⭒ 1997

October 27th ⭒ 1997

  SIRIUS BLACK ran a frustrated hand through his dark curls, letting out a groan that — if heard — would have made the majority of women and quite a few men go wild. Of course, it was only loud enough for the brunette in glasses who sat opposite him in the Gryffindor common room to hear.

  "A T? Prongs, what is this? We aren't even doing N.E.W.T.S yet, the woman can't give us marks based on that. Can she?" Sirius turned around, looking unamused at the paper that he'd been passed back.

  James shrugged. "Can she? Pads, you need to r—"

  "Troll!" From behind him, a girl slid down the staircase that led to the girls' dormitories, a gleeful smirk on her face. Carelessly perching on the arm of his seat, Josephine Potter eyed the paper in his hand. "Indeed, a troll."

  "Jo, are you drunk again?"

  She raised an eyebrow. "I don't act this sober when I'm drunk, a fact that I believe you are very well acquainted with. Besides, I meant troll as in your grade. Not you."

  Marlene brushed past Josephine on her way to the door, laughing. "Is there a difference? I don't see it."

  Disgruntled, Sirius allowed Josephine to prop her elbow on his head as she looked over his paper with what was either extreme fascination or disbelief — most likely the second.

  "If you keep this up, you're going to be owing me at least thirty galleons by the end of the year," Josephine sang.

  Sirius swore under his breath, "Godric, who even came up with that bet in the first place? I swear, it's going to be the death of me."

  Jo sent him a look that clearly meant, you, duh. They both knew it had been Sirius's brainchild, born right after Josephine had bombed the DADA test and he'd wanted to gloat, because that's what best friends did. The fire flickered as the two sat in silence, Jo continuing to flip through his paper and Sirius doing Merlin knows what.