2 | How To: Burning Bridges

November 24th ⭒ 1997

  "SERIOUSLY? YOU KNOW it's just tutoring."

  Marlene looked at her doubtfully. "Sirius Black just wants tutoring? Jo, if you told me that in a game of two truths and a lie with the fact that you're secretly dating Filch, I'd believe the second."

  Josephine cocked her head to the side. "That's what he told me."

  Truthful enough, she decided.

  In reality, most of the tutoring sessions were about 40% actual work, 30% them mucking around because both of them had incredibly short attention spans (maybe just Josephine, but Sirius went along with it), 10% arguing, and 20% that seemed to never stay the same.

  Last time, they'd somehow managed to convince themselves that scaring couples that had snuck out was a good way to end their weekly sessions. But the fun of bonding with your best friend through being a pain in the ass was soon cut off when Evan Rosier showed his annoying face. No, she supposed, that was too harsh. His face was decent-looking, just the worst time ever along with being someone she heavily disliked.

  She shuddered at the memory of what had happened in fourth year. Thankfully, Josephine wasn't given too much time to relieve the trauma.

  "Jo!" she heard a voice holler, effectively breaking her out of her mental lock.

  She turned to see Sirius at the bottom of the staircase, having many a time attempted to climb up and only ended up falling down. Sliding down, her shoes skidding across the smooth surface, Josephine brandished both arms. "Indeed, that is my name."

  The girls simply shook their heads, all too familiar with their little dramatics. Lily waved innocently. "Have fun, Jo and Laurie."

  "Laurie? Is he pretty?" Jo muttered, more to herself than to Sirius.

  Surprisingly, the boy responded, "He's a guy in a muggle book." Upon seeing her raised eyebrows, Sirius hastily elaborated. "Moony wouldn't shut up about it. Little Women, I think it was called? But Remus is more of a Laurie, honestly. I don't think I'm poetic enough or nerdy enough."