7 | Stars by the Pocketful

December 1st ⭒ 1977

December 1st ⭒ 1977

  SHE WORE THE NIGHT SKY, and though James would never admit it, Jo wore it much better than he ever could have.

  The main bodice had the appearance of being pieced together with a thousand glowing stars, and it slowly blended into the navy skirt that reached the floor. The stars — they were everywhere: woven into the strands of her hair, falling from the translucent sleeves that started halfway down her bicep and ended at her wrists. Josephine spun around, squinting at her brother. "Should I make my hair blue? Or black? Is that going too far?"

  James pretended to wipe away a tear in his eye, though that tear was very much real. "Oh, Jo. I feel like a dad on wedding day."

  "With a daughter who isn't getting married to anyone?" she responded drily, the corners of her eyes giving her away.

  "Damn right, your date better be marrying you after the show we're going to give them"

   Jo smoothed out the folds of her dress. "Now put on yours. I hope there was some semblance of twin telepathy when we were making these." She lifted a tuxedo off of the desk, ready to toss it at his at his face, before remembering that she didn't want to crease it.

  James ducked into the bathroom, and a few seconds later, came out wrestling with the tie. Jo scrunched up her nose disapprovingly, "do it properly!"

  "You were the one that added it," he reminded her, giving up. James tugged on the jacket, and turned around dramatically. "How's it look?"

  She pushed the mirror in front of him, scrutinizing every detail. "Frankly, not bad." Josephine stepped closer to him, surveying the dual effect. Lily's white dress went perfectly with James's black and gold suit. "The gold really suits you."

  "It really suits us," James pulled her in for a hug, "we look ravishing!"

  Jo smiled knowingly. "Indeed we do."

  "Who're you dancing with?" He asked, not very slyly, as she pulled back.

  "Everyone in this goddamned castle," Jo replied, catching on to what he was implying.