3 | Run From It All

November 25th ⭒ 1977

  "WHAT A LOVELY day," Josephine remarked, slipping into the gap between her brother and Sirius that was customary for them to save.

  James choked down a mouthful of orange juice, looking at her disbelievingly. "It's pouring, stupid."

  "Ah, yes, but I value the art of deception, stupider."

  Remus pointed at her with the sausage on his fork. "That sentence made absolutely no sense."

  She waved aside his protests. "It's like, eight in the morning. My brain isn't supposed to be working."

  "But mine is," James pointed out, "So I'm the more intelligent twin, obviously."

  Remus wisely stepped on her foot to stop a full-blown war from breaking out, tilting his head in the direction of the boy on her other side.

  Sirius had sat quietly throughout this interaction — something that hadn't gone unnoticed. Before Josephine could get a word out of her mouth, the boy yawned and stretched, knocking the fork on his plate to the ground. "Lads, I think I want to take a walk around the grounds. Fine weather today."

  He got up, without sparing a glance at anyone.

  Josephine caught her brother's eye after a knowing look from Remus. Yes, she loved the boy, but did he have to rub it in?

  "Wonderful, wonderful," Jo clapped, swinging her legs to the other side of the bench, "Where the fuck has Siri gone?"

  The four of them almost turned over the table at the speed they attempted to scramble out of the Great Hall at: if it hadn't been for the large entrance, they would have become the human version of a car pileup. James furrowed his brows as he looked around the almost-empty hallway. "Didn't he say he was going around the grounds?"

  "Right, Sirius would skip breakfast to stand in this weather." Jo nodded very slowly.

  Remus shifted uneasily from one foot to another from her side. "I don't know, it's worth a chance."