Chapter 2- Hatter

I thought it was going to be another normal tea party. The trees that lined my home had finally started blooming which means I'll have fresh lemons soon for tea. Which also means I can make my favorite lemon scones as well. Spring seemed to be coming along slowly this season, which means Time was probably starting to fall asleep if he wasn't asleep already. Thank the magic that everything was already blooming, we wouldn't have to wait too long for our spring foods to grow while Time slept. A long spring also meant I could host tea for days and maybe this time I could find the one who's meant to be my claimed half. I watched as Hare came through my front garden gate to sit at my table.

He was coming back from an afternoon outing with Duchess so he felt the need to come by and brag. I was happy for my friend that he found love, but I still felt a burning jealousy that I hadn't found my claimed half yet. Hare and I were the last of the Royal lines, at least that's what we believed. The Spades died off before we were born and everyone in Wonderland assumed that the Hearts line was either completely lost on the other side or was already dead. Cheshire still kept up his foolish hunt to find them, most believed he was slipping deeper into madness with every passing trip. No one had the heart to try and tell him it was a fool's errand to keep trying to find them.

Hare started to pour himself tea from one of the various pots I had set out. He was already chattering about his outing with Duchess so I just smiled politely and tuned him out. As I refilled my plate my mind started to wonder back to when Cheshire was here for tea last. He was almost certain he'd found the Hearts heir this time. Though he was concerned how fast the other side was changing. He was hopeful that this may be his last hunt. I was excited to hear of all the new things from the other side.

I loved hearing of the other side so every time he came back home I had him for tea before he slept for a few years. I never knew what was so fascinating about that world, but I felt a slight tug at my magic when he spoke about what was new over there. When he returned this time I planned on asking if he'd take me with him on his next hunt. I needed to find what or who was calling to my magic. Part of me was hoping it was my claimed half. My perfect person. Most of the royal lines just accepted a partner to keep the family going on strong, but my parents showed me what a true love match could mean. Not just someone who would grow to love me or would just tolerate me enough to bear our children. I wanted love. It was rare these days, but I believed my magic was trying to call to my claimed half. The one perfect person for me. Claimed halves were rare even before the magic started to fade, but I can feel in my bones the call.
"Are you even listening to me Hatter?" Hares voice breaks me out of my thoughts. I look towards him in his usual seat at my right. He looks at me expectedly waiting for an answer to a question I didn't even listen to.
"I'm sorry my friend. I was lost in thought. What was your question?" Hare laughs at me and scratches his long ears. He'd already removed his jacket and made himself comfortable. It was going to be a long spring I believe. Thankfully Time had decided to start his nap now instead of the summer time.
"Why is your brain so occupied these days? Don't tell me you're actually thinking about asking Cheshire if you can tag along on his mad little quest next time? You'd have to be as mad as him to want to even go. So why even try? Besides I was saying that you should give Dina another chance. She really would be a good match for you my friend. You don't have much longer before all the proper ladies are married off. You don't want to end up like Mr Mouse, do you? Alone and traveling deeper into madness with each passing season." I sigh and roll my eyes. Dina was a beautiful young lady, but she was nothing more than a pretty face. She wanted a royal husband because she thought it would make her look better or award her some higher status. We all know that the royals have no say in anything anymore. The Guardians kept our world turning so what could the royals do? We were a dying breed anyway. Only Hare and I were left for the royals. Hare would most likely marry Duchess, if their courtship keeps running smoothly. I'd rather die alone than be trapped in a loveless marriage of convenience.
"We both know Dina wouldn't even grow to love me. She wants power I can't offer her. You know I want a love match like my parents anyway. My answer will always be no. One outing with her was insufferable. All she could talk about was her dresses and what shoes would match. I hate material things that have no heart behind it. And she called my tea sets silly. I'd rather be alone than deal with her constant criticism." I still get angry when I think of how she disrespected my lovely sets. I loved that they didn't match and they were mostly different. It gave them character. My parents always said tea sets without character were not worth the material to make them. Hare opened his mouth to say something before I saw his ear twitch towards the path in the woods. Very few people come for tea without an invitation.
"Is Cheshire back already? Must have been a short trip." I muse as I start to pour a cup of tea for him at the setting to my left. Hare listens a moment longer before he looks at me bewildered.
"That's not Cheshire. And I don't recognize the sound of their shoes. Someone must have tumbled through! What should we do? Cheshire isn't here to lead them back! What if they're dangerous?" I watch as he starts to twitch his nose and rub at the tips of his ears. That was always his nervous tick, especially as a child. When we were very young he seemed to always have a bald patch at the end of his ears because he rubbed them so often.
"Let's not panic. Remember, most who tumble through think this is all a dream. And what danger could they pose? We're not in their world, they are in ours. So settle yourself or you may scare them more. Let's offer them some tea and hopefully Cheshire will feel the tug to come back. He is a guardian so the magic has to call him back for his job." I try to soothe my friend, but I feel my heart starting to beat against my ribs. I'm afraid as well, but someone has to keep their head on right. I'm hoping I'm not wrong when we see a young lady, no more than maybe 7 years old, walk down the path looking quite lost. I hear Hare sigh in relief.
"Thank the magic it's only a child. She's definitely not a threat. Wait. Where's the adult? No child can cross without an adult." I rise and walk around my table. I walk toward her slowly, if we were scared of her I know she must be terrified. I'm hoping the adult she came with didn't wander into the forest. Depending on where they came in from it may have been Bandersnatch territory and the adult may never be seen again. Fuck. Why couldn't Cheshire be here? He'd know what to do. I call out to her.
"Hello young lady. Are you lost?" She's almost at my gate when I reach the end of the table. She looks like she's been crying as she nods her head.
"Come here my dear. Would you like a cup of tea and maybe a cookie or a tart?" I kneel so I'm closer to her height as she gently approaches the gate.

Her eyes seem to be trying to take everything in. From what Cheshire has said my home is close to the look of the other side. That's why it's so easy for people to believe their trip here was nothing more than a dream. I watch as her gaze lingers on the tea and treats. I smile as she slowly opens the gate and approaches me.

I watch her gaze flick between me and Hare. Poor dear. Cheshire said that the other side doesn't have the hybrid families like we do. She stops a few feet in front of me and fiddles with the small bows on her dress.
"Where am I? Last I remember I was in the big tree hiding from Lorraine." Her voice is quiet. I smile at her as I say.
"You're in a wonderful place called Wonderland. My name is Hatter. And that gentleman at the table is March Hare. We won't hurt you dear. Would you like a cup of tea? We have a friend who can help you back home." I hold out my hand and wait for her response. She doesn't say anything as she places her hand in mine. I suddenly got a vision of her grown up. She's wearing a similar blue dress and sitting to my left. She's laughing as she sips tea while we're at my table. She looks at me as she places her cup down and winks. As quickly as it came the vision was gone. I have a million questions run through my head as I look into her blue eyes. I'd never had visions before. Why now?
"Are you ok Mr Hatter?" Her sweet little voice breaks me out of my questions. I gently shake my head before I respond.
"Yes. Come. Let's have some tea my dear." I stand and lead her to sit by me at the head of the table. She sits in the chair on my left and looks oddly at Hare. He huffs before he says.
"It's very rude to stare. Or didn't your mother teach you any manners?" He sneers at her and I smack his arm.
"Manners go both ways Hare. Be kind to our guest. She did just portal travel. And Cheshire always says it's extremely taxing. What is your name my dear? And where is your friend Lorraine?" I'm guessing Lorraine was the one she crossed with. If they're still close I can ask Hare to fetch them before they get hurt. I noticed the scrape on her knee, but one thing at a time. Her friend's safety was top priority.
"My name is Alice. And Lorraine is my cousin. I didn't see anyone around when I got here. That's why I started walking down the path. Mom and Aunt Tilly always say if I get lost look for an adult. And I didn't know where else to go." She reaches for the tarts once she's done speaking. I stare at her a moment before I turn to Hare and see the shock and horror on his face. This child just portal traveled alone and by accident. How was that even possible? It's possible she was able to cross because she bled on the portal tree, but most believed that to be an old wife's tale. When Cheshire returns I'll have to ask him about a few things. For now though, having tea with Alice feels more important.
"Who's Cheshire? Can he help me find my way home?" She asks between bites of tart. I chuckle watching her eat.

Cheshire says that portal travel always makes him ravenous. So it's not surprising that little Alice would be hungry as she is. She glances at Hare before she asks.

"Does he look like Mr Hare?" I hear Hare start to sputter and I burst out laughing. Hare believed he looked more handsome than the normal animals. He likes to say he has the best of both worlds. So for Alice to compare him to Cheshire, I knew he'd take it as an insult.
"I am nothing like that feline! I am part of the royal line of Hares. I am far better looking than that scruffy little Guardian!"
Alice looks at me sheepishly. I smile at her. I'm about to reassure her that she did nothing wrong when I hear a familiar voice coming from Alice's side.
"Scruffy huh? Is that anyway to talk about a Guardian?" Cheshire hops up next to Alice on the table and glares at Hare who is suddenly at a loss for words. He looks down and seems to be awfully fixated on the tea set in front of him. I always told him his vanity was going to get him in trouble. I chuckle as I look at Cheshire. He looks more alive than he has in years.
"Would you like a cup of tea Cheshire?" I ask, grabbing the pot. I look at Alice and she seems fascinated by Cheshire.
"This young lady is Alice. She seems to have tumbled through one of the portals." Cheshire finally tears his gaze away from Hare and looks at Alice.
"Hello, Alice Hart. It's my great honor to meet you. My name is Cheshire Cat." He grins and bows his head to her. Hart? No. It's impossible!
He found her!