Chapter 8 Alice

Romeo's pizzeria was the first sit down restaurant I tried after I started working at the bookshop. The owners, Mr and Mrs Leo, had instantly taken a liking to me. Mrs Leo or Mamma Leo as she insisted I call her, always said there was a pull she felt to me, she said I had magic in my soul. They'd been like family over the last five years which really didn't help when they started trying to get me to date their son, Joey. The pizzeria is a small building with only about 12 tables, but they make all the food from scratch and their family's sauce recipe has made their pizzas the best in town. Their families had moved from Italy a few generations ago and they kept their recipes alive by opening this place.

Jack and I were almost done with our pizza when Mr Leo came over to our table.
"There's my bonus daughter!" He quickly hugs me as he greets us. He smells like pizza dough and basil.
"No take out tonight? Must be a special occasion. You even brought little Jackie along." He shakes Jack's hand before he stands between us.
"We're going out of town for a few weeks, Mr Leo. So I figured I'd come and tell you myself." He quickly holds up his hand to stop me from continuing before he says.
"How many times must I remind you to call me Papa Leo? You call my misses Mamma. You call me Papa Leo." He looks at me sternly before I laugh.
"Yes Papa Leo." He smiles brightly at me, happy that I finally agreed to call him Papa.
"Least someone wants to keep you around Alice." Jack laughs and he just gives him a stern look before shaking his head.
"Siblings. You fight with each other hard, but the bond you share is stronger. You only get one sister Jackie." He sighed before he continued.
"You, be a good boy. Be kind to your sister." Jack simply nods and Papa Leo pats his cheek.
"Let me get Mamma so you can tell her your plans."
As he walks away Jack turns to me.
"Why is he so nice to you? I feel like a kid that just got scolded." I laugh as I take another bite.
"I'm the favorite. Besides, I think they're still trying to hook me up with their son. So unless you wanna date Joey, shut it." He shrugs as he finishes his slice. After 5 minutes Mamma Leo comes to our table.
"There's my girl. Why is Papa saying you're leaving town for a few weeks? Did you finally take our advice and are taking a vacation?" She makes me stand and hug her as she talks. She smells like vanilla, coffee, and cocoa. Which means she's making her famous tiramisu.
"Yes Mamma. We're going to the family farm for a few weeks. My Aunt Tilly invited us." I sit down and I see the sadness in her eyes. She remembers when I used to come in and order dessert and cried in a corner booth after Uncle Damions funeral. She helped me on the bad days after he passed away. That's when I started calling her Mamma Leo. She pats Jack on the cheek and smiles at him then she turns back to me.
"I will pray for her. It's never easy to lose the one you love. Especially after many years of a happy marriage. I know she's in good hands with you two going for a visit." She quickly kisses my forehead when Papa Leo comes back with a couple of take out boxes in a plastic bag. He starts to talk so I won't deny the free treats.
"Before you two go. Mamma wanted you to have some dessert and also some I added some snacks for your road trip." I look at them both quizzically before I ask.
"How did you know we're driving there?" Papa Leo chuckles.
"We know our Alice well enough to know you prefer to drive and watch the scenery. Don't forget that's what brought you to Willows Grove in the first place." He smiles at me, no doubt remembering when I first came in for lunch after my first shift at The Labyrinths Garden.
"Feels like just yesterday, you first came in looking tired after your first day at work. Now five years later you're officially part of the family. Mamma said that on the first day there was something about you that was special. Especially after you kept ordering all that take out." Papa Leo holds his wife close before he sets the take out bag in front of me.
"I know magic when I see it Papa. And you little Alice are your own kind of magic. Even if you won't let our Joey take you out." We all laugh as they walk us to the front door.
"You tell us when you return home and Mamma will make you a special dessert. You two travel safe and have some fun."
They hug us both one last time and kiss my cheeks before they finally let us leave.

The walk back to my apartment was chilly, but uneventful thankfully. I didn't see Hatter or Cheshire so it must have been a trick of my mind. With the dreams changing and everything else going one I need to start working on my mental health more.
"So why won't you date Joey?" Jack asks and he flops on my sofa and kicks his shoes off. I laugh before I throw my spare blanket at him.
"Because it'd be like dating you. He's family. Even if they're not blood, the Leo's are like my second family." He simply nods as he covers up with the blanket and starts to fall asleep. I roll my eyes and watch as Marmalade jumps onto his chest and lays down.
"Guess I get to have my bed to myself tonight." She only looks at me and starts to purr. I give her a quick scratch before I go to my room and start to pack my bag.
I was packed and had everything ready to go in an hour. I went and gave Marmalade one last scratch behind her ears before I checked all my locks and finally laid down with a book to read and relax.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't remember falling asleep, but I must have. I was standing on the path to Hatter's tea table. I glance down and see I'm back in the blue dress from my first dream of being here. I shrug and just start walking to Hatter. May as well enjoy the dreams before I start trying to forget him.
I saw the lemon trees coming into view when I heard Hare and Hatters voices, it sounded like they were fighting. That was new, they never fought in my dreams before. I pick up my pace as their voices become clear.
"If she's given up on you Hatter, then why are you still waiting? She's moving on. You should be too. Now that everyone is awake you should give Dina another shot." I heard someone set down their dishes a little too hard.
"Why would I give up on my claimed half? Cheshire is leaving soon to try and find her again. I won't let her give up on us before she has a chance to see I'm real." I finally make it to the gate and see the pair glaring at each other both not willing to give up on their views. I call out to them to try and break the tension.
"Hello Hare! Hello Hatter! Care if I join you two for tea?" I smile at Hatter as I see them whip their heads towards me in shock. I gently open the gate and start to my usual seat at Hatter's right side. 
"It's not possible." Hare whispers as I sit down.
"Why are you so surprised? We've been having tea for 20 years together. Why do you look so shocked now?" I laugh at their stunned faces.
"What's with the faces? It's my dream. You've never been shocked to see me here before." They look back at each other before Hatter silently pours me a cup of tea.
"How did you get here Alice?" He's still looking at me like I'm not supposed to be here. And it stings. He's always been so happy and animated to see me appear at his side.
"I guess I fell asleep reading my book after packing for the trip to Aunt Tilly's farm." He pushes a plate of tarts to me and stares at me expectantly.
"You're starting to freak me out, Hatter. You're usually so happy to see me." I sigh. I want to wake up. I hate seeing him look at me like I'm crazy.
"I should try to wake myself up. I don't like how the dreams are changing. This doesn't feel right anymore." I feel tears start to form in my eyes as I start to rise from the table. When Hatter grabs my hand.
"No! Alice, please stay my dear. You merely surprised us. I'm sorry I'm being a dreadful host to you right now. Please. Sit." I can see the plea in his eyes. I slowly sit back down when I hear Hare speak but it barely comes out a whisper.
"I-I need to speak with Griffin. This shouldn't be possible. Hatter seeing her maybe, but she's practically here. I shouldn't be able to see her. Something isn't right." He's rubbing the tips of his ears and he slowly gets up and walks away from us. He looks like he's seen a ghost.
Once on the other side of the gate he turns and runs quickly down the path.
"These dreams are getting weirder and weirder." I turn back to Hatter and notice he hasn't let go of my hand yet.
"I can feel your hand in mine. You almost feel warm to the touch." He's tracing nonsensical patterns on my hand before he moves up my arm. I giggle at his light touches.
"That tickles Hatter. I wonder why you feel so real this time. Usually I can only feel you this close when we have sex in these dreams." His hand immediately stills. He looks at me with a smoldering heat in his eyes.
"So you've had dreams of us being together like that too? Oh my dear, you're going to drive me mad. Tell me about those dreams and I'll make them come true my love." He gently starts to kiss my hand.
"Don't you remember? With how much fun we've had at this table together? Wouldn't you remember?" He hums as he kisses up my wrist.
"I want to hear you say them. I want to hear all those dirty words coming from your pretty lips. I want to hear every one of your dirty dreams about me." His lips had reached my shoulder when my head started to go fuzzy. I knew the dream was ending.
"I hate when the good dreams end." My words feel slurred coming from my mouth. I can no longer feel Hatter holding me as the dream starts to slip away.