8. The King

Hazelnut came to a stop at the front gate of the large castle looming in front of them. Henry searched for the guard that opens the heavily watched gate until he finally spotted him. Henry nodded towards him and the man with a short bow of respect complied and pulled the lever. The manually set gate opened with a loud screech of metal against metal and Henry directed his horse inside.

" Thank you." Henry gave a curt smile to the man and the guard waved in response.

"My pleasure sire!" The armored guard called as Henry disappeared inside.

The prince chuckled as the gate creaked and groaned before closing behind him. All of the servants and even the people of the village insist of calling him the king's title instead of "young master" like they had before he came of age. They already considered him the king and that gave Henry great pride. His father,King Iscalus, isn't at all liked by his citizens and staff.

'It isn't hard to see why..' Henry thought to himself bitterly as he led his horse inside, the beautiful steed's hooves clopping against the stone pathway.

King Iscaulus is a cruel and notoriously manipulative King. Feared and revered by all, he rules with an iron fist. The rules he sets firmly placed and enforced with a single penalty- death.
No exemption to anyone close to him...
Henry's mother and the King's deceased wife included. Yes, deceased, dead, hung for crimes against the crown. Queen Marie, a kindhearted woman of faith loyal to her country, killed for her golden heart. Her "crimes" according to her terrible husband being she pitied the poor and gave a sizable amount of money to feed them against her husband's wishes.
After Iscalus found out, when Henry was ten, he humiliated her in front of a large crowd of prestigious nobles and the whole village making her son watch in horror before wrapping a noose around her neck. Everyone was devastated and in shock without the much beloved Queen who cared for them in her never ending selflessness.

Her last words always rung In his head late at night, close to him, a constant reminder before she dangled limp and lifeless in front of her own child and the villagers and servants who she considered like her children.

Henry remembered her desperate expression, her light blue eyes boring into him as a sad smile played on her lips. Her hair was perfect even at her death, tight chocolate curls around her shoulders framing a tear stained face.

"I love you my son. Kindle your kind heart and treasure it. Be the king I know you are..." She had said before she took her last breath.

Henry will never forgive him. Never in his life will he be able to relate himself to such a monster. Yet, he still must on a daily basis. It is what he must do now.

He shook himself from his revenge plagued thoughts as he hopped off his horse and handed him to a awaiting stable boy.

Straitening his collared shirt he composed himself before walking up the marble steps up to the palace he had called home for the past 16 years.
Without a the brightness of his mother it had felt more dreary for everyone.
Despite that depressing thought he managed to sleep, eat, and live there only for the benefit of his future people and status.

He will be a better King. Henry knew that for sure and so did many others.
The privileged Prince always kept that in mind when he had to speak with his cold hearted father.

Walking down the polished perfect hallways lined with expensive paintings and decorations he strode toward the throne room where his father frequently spent his time.

" Good afternoon Sire." A passing servant whom was about his age maybe older greeted. The kitchen servant, he knew as Jon, was carrying a large stack of plates and towels over his shoulder. He looked to be struggling with it but had his usual polite smile on his face, all dimples, curly blonde hair, and grey-blue eyes. Henry had known him for about a year since he had started working at the castle in the kitchen and had grown fond of his funny nature and devotion to his job.

" Afternoon Jon. Need help with that?" Henry asked attempting to lighten his load when he raised a hand to help.

"No sir! I'm capable of this. Thank you but I would get in trouble for asking you to do such a thing!" He exclaimed taking a step away with a determined look albeit slightly panicked.
The panic Henry assumed was the common fear of his father's wrath.

Henry backed off but not without patting Jon'a soft curls playfully and balancing the plates in his hand.

"No problem. I'll take my leave. See you later,love" Henry said (using the nickname he only called people who he liked) giving him a smile which the much shorter boy gave back happily before returning to his job scurrying away to the kitchen.

Henry continued his walk to the throne room which he reached in a minutes time. Reluctant to see the king he took a shaky breath before knocking on the tall intricately carved wood doors with golden trim.

" COME IN." Was his father's booming voice from the other side inside the echoey room. Two men opened the door for him and he nodded at each of them gratefully before waltzing inside.

The throne room was always so astonishing every time he was inside.
The open room was lined with marble pillars that reached to the dome ceiling that had glass skylights that shine bright golden light down below onto a single throne in the center.
The throne was made specifically for each King each time a new king came into power. King Iscalus's was designed by himself to reflect his influence as King. Large black spikes surrounded a single blood red chair with a back that tapered off into sharp weapons at the top. It was meant to symbolize his power but it only showed his cold aura.
The dark throne contrasting the golden light and overall extravagance of the room. Queen Marie's, as the throne was made for her as well when she had married the King, had been moved six years before.
Henry still pictured the golden throne she had sat in with various different colored flowers planted in hanging pots on silver chains on the royal chair. Now only an empty space was in that spot.

" I have come with the report Father."
Henry said as he kneeled in front of his father's feet before looking up at him.

" Rise. Tell me. Make haste!" King Iscalus growled impatiently as his son rose at his command.

The king had long greying raven hair pulled back in a ponytail, a stubbly brown beard, and intense rusty brown eyes filled with malice and ice. He wore long scarlet robes and exotic animal furs that cost more than everything in the village combined. King Iscalus was handsome for his age but his wicked personality corrupted his looks. Henry had gained his facial structure but had been given the rest of his features by his mother. Thank god.

" Yes sir... My men and I patrolled the western border and found no monster. We assume that the villagers have been seeing a snow leopard, which is common in that area, and that the fables of a monster is fiction to lead us wrong." Henry lied convincingly not wanting to tell his father the truth.

The king suppressed a small chuckle before his smirk returned to his usual scowl.

" Good boy, good work. Hmm. Tomorrow I want you to send out a hunting party for this stray animal and bring me its fur. I am in need of a new carpet..." The corrupt King said as he stroked his many fur coats and waved his hand in dismissal of his son.

" yes sir." Henry gave a quick bow before turning on his heel and absconding from the room. The men closed the door behind him, both giving respectful nods before shutting the door.

Henry heaved a deep sigh of relief as he walked away from that room and away from his so called father.

" Someday.. Someday I will become king and will rule.. You watch father. I will be a better King. For I already am considered that-" Henry muttered confidently to himself as he made his way to his room passing some other servants who all gave him bright knowing smiles, only given to him not his twisted father.

They all believed his words. King Henry did have a nice to ring to it and held hope for Winter Wind and it's people.

Henry would make sure it would.

----------------------------------------

Thank you for reading. I have been very busy with school lately but now that it's summer expect more chapters!! Yay! :3
Comment and Vote.
I love to hear what you have to say and you can even give me advice on what should happen next if you want!
*gives you cookie* Thanks again!!