14. Human

Sorry for the long wait friends! (School is such a hassle) Nonetheless, I have been loving reading your comments and I smile every time I read them . P.S I like the shipname Henyah ;) .I am so blessed to have so many people loving and enjoying this little story of mine. Thank you for all the loving support and get ready for more character development and twists and turns! Comment and Vote if you enjoy~

-Eternal

______________________________

***

A couple long minutes dragged on as the snow slowly fell against the golden rimmed window panes of the Great Hall of the castle, that soft noise was the only sound that echoed between the two teens as they met gazes. The silence was deafening and awkward, a stretched out pause that had them both shifting and wringing their hands. Without Maya present there it was different, the first time they had been alone since Riyah's memory had resurfaced, or had only slightly come back at least. This was only moment they had to talk alone until Maya returned with the servants, Riyah realized.

They definitely needed to talk, the silence hindering that needed to end.

Riyah was the first to speak, fingers clutching the ragged cloth of his shirt. "Henry, I-" Riyah paused, heart thrumming in his chest as he looked away quickly. "Maya is right, there is something between us. Whether I'm just a pastime for you or something more...I need to know." Riyah turned away towards the window, watching as lazy snowflakes landed on the foggy glass, not wanting to meet the shocked stare he could feel burning into the back of his head.

Despite that Riyah kept going, not ready to hear Henry's answer until he was finished with his own spiel. "You are a prince, a future king. That's obvious. I am just a monster and a male at that, someone you could never be with romantically or platonically. A broken boy who has no family, no future. The fact that you even want to help me..nobody else has before. I..I don't understand why you want to be kind to me. You let me backtalk you, you let me heal in your infirmary, you-why?" Riyah pressed his scarred palm over his heart and then spun back to see Henry's reaction, expression pained.

Prince Henry's eyes were wide. His chocolate brown hair still peppered with snow from his patrols of the kingdom in the morning, and his lips were parted as if he had forgotten how to breathe properly, a tint of pink to his skin.

"Why?" Henry repeated. "-because it is the right thing to do, because for some reason I want to help. I want to because..Riyah you have nobody else and I want to be that someone."

Henry took off his crown and twisted it around in his hands. "-and this crown. My lineage, my name, Lancaster. Those things are just titles, just names. To me it truly doesn't matter since to me you are just Riyah and I am just Henry." Henry said placing the crown back on his head with a wink. "Monster or not, you are someone dear to me, love."

Henry then gave Riyah his usual crooked smile, a quirk of the lips as his eyes sparked in good humor, trying to lighten the heavy mood. "It doesn't help that my father gave me the most royally recognizable name. Henry Kingston Lancaster! It couldn't be any more high class, maybe perhaps if I was Henry Kingston Lancaster III or something~" Henry joked and felt satisfied when that earned a mocking snicker from Riyah instead of more silence.

"That is true, your name is very posh. Annoyingly so." Riyah said unsuccessfully hiding a dimpled grin behind his hand, his shoulders relaxing.

Henry's expression softened. "There it is. That smile."

The long look that Henry sent Riyah was meaningful, and caused Riyah to short circuit blushing and hiding his whole face with his fingers. "S..Shut up!" Riyah hissed voice muffled by his hands.