[2] the hike

e.

we've all decided that we're gonna go on a hike today, so naturally i decide to let kayla know.

i creep into the room and kneel down next to her bed.

god she's beautiful. her features fit her so perfectly.

"hey" i whisper trying to wake her. she jumps a little but calms when she realises it's me.

"didnt mean to spook you" i laugh a little.

"it's aight" she yawns, rubbing her eyes.

"we're all going on a hike, thought you should come" i tell her.

"at night?" she says, confused.

"it's morning" i tell her.

"but it's still black outside" she groans.

"you think ni'jah lays in bed all day? you think she stays in bed and learns all those dance moves?" i question her, taking her hand.

"no. but that's because ni'jahs special" she says to me with a soft smile.

"exactly. and so are you" i smile. "i'll meet you downstairs" i say and leave out the room.

///

d.

i'm currently out on the hike eva woke me up for at ungodly hours of the morning.

we make a pit stop and oh my god am i out of breath.

i begin to chug my water, "it's okay" salem says rubbing my back.

"you gonna make it?" eva asks me as i begin coughing.

"hey, take your time. and if you need to throw up, it's fine" eva comforts.

we all sit down on a massive rock, completely out of breath.

"don't worry kayla, i was just like you when i joined decawin" salem tells me.

i look up at her with a confused look, "what- what's decawin?" i ask trying to catch my breath.

her and eva chuckle slightly before replying. "this is decawin" she takes a breath. "it's a women's empowerment group" she tells me.

"so what do y'all do? like, hike? camp?" i question.

"ah, no, we prefer retreat" eva corrects me. "we specialise in unlocking female potential. teaching, learning, training, and most of all healing, all through e.u" eva explains to me.

"eva's our executive director" cricket says.

"she's really changed all of our lives. i'm three years sober now" cricket says smiling at eva.

"yeah. and i just joined more recently, but i'm already on the last week of treatment for my fluency disorder" salem says.

"what's that?" i ask.

"i had a stutter" she tells me, pointing to her mouth. i nod my head in response.

i take out my phone to check it.

"you were doing so good ignoring your phone" eva sighs.

"i want you to stay present. your body's releasing endorphins right now" she tells me. i look up at her and put my phone back in my pocket.

"alright ladies, let's meditate" eva says.

///

i'm currently laying in bed on my phone.

"spill the damn tea and drop the name" , "whoever bit ni'jah ... needs to go play in traffic"

the video plays from my phone. shit.

a knock on the door startled me and i quickly open a book.

the door opens to reveal cricket.

"hey" she says and sits down next to me on my bed.

"so i'm gonna head out to the bank soon. but then i'll swing by my friend mark's place and pick up your wristband" she tells me.

"okay, thank you" i say to her.

"oh also, eva wanted to offer you some free counseling. i think you'll like it" she informs me.

"it's always nice to release after a hike. trust me, it's a better use of your time than staring at your phone, okay?" cricket continues.

a little goes by and i decide to go to eva's counselling. just means i can see her more.

i go up to the attic where the counselling room is. i walk in and see a desk with grace sitting at it. "right there" she points to an open door.

i look in it to see eva sitting in a chair across from another chair. it's a really pretty room.

"you came" she says as her face lights up. "i'm impressed" she tells me.

"get comfortable" eva tells me.

(a/n): i'm already loving this book tbh.

hope y'all are too!

- leila