The verdict

Ali and Aleena were both sitting in sir Inam's office. Earlier the security guards had taken control and had removed sultan from the ICU, the guards were instructed to not allow him even in the general ward.

Sir Inam had looked too angry to speak when he had discovered Ali with his fists ready to throw punches on sultan. He had ordered both of them to go wait in his office for him to come. They had no other choice.

Ali knew he was in deep trouble, 'being caught in a position of attacking a patients' attendant', really , how much worse it could get, even if the 'attendant' had attacked his own wife and was about to hit Aleena. He became angry again, when that scene ran on his mind's screen. He rubbed his eyes, the adrenalin rush had passed and now he was even more exhausted if that was humanly possible.

Ali shifted in the hard chair in front of sir Inam's large table. His eyes strayed to the girl sitting beside him. She looked upset, sitting on the edge of her chair. Wringing her hands , biting her lip, even now she looked beautiful..

His observation halted as the door opened and sir Inam entered the room. Ali shook his head, thinking that he was so doomed.

Sir Inam sat on his chair. Leaning back, he regarded them with a stare that could dissolve a kidney stone with its intensity.

Aleena shifted uncomfortably in her chair, and before sir Inam could unleash his wrath, she began

'sir I became angry because that man was assaulting his wife. He was threatening to divorce her, and she was begging him not to. You know better than both of us how delicate her situation is. He, he ordered her to get rid of the baby..'

Aleena's voice had started shaking, she was angry and upset. 'how could he say that, and what that woman is going to do?'

'miss Aleena, I am fully aware that what sultan was doing was an immoral , despicable act. But your response is not at all what suits a doctor. What you were trying to do was the job of a social worker. And if that's the kind of stuff you want to do, perhaps you should reconsider your career. ' his voice had gotten awfully cold in the end.

'But sir..' Aleena tried to say something

'No buts, you two have no knowledge of the ettiquets of this profession. You are doctors, and its not at all your responsibility to get involved with patients' personal lives. Your duty is only to see to the well being of your patient, to their 'health', only'

she lowered her head.

Sir Inam started again, his voice very angry

'And what were you doing Ali, what were you thinking. Do you have any idea, what would happen if Sultan reported it in media "young medical student attacks a patient's husband" , the reporters these days are looking for things like that, they wouldn't wait for you to confirm that this is what had indeed happened. this was such an irresponsible and senseless thing to do, I feel like I haven't taught you anything about professionalism , your failure to behave as decent responsible doctors reflects on me. I feel guilty that I have failed to teach you.'

Thick silence filled the room.

Sir inam took a deep breath, 'so what do you have to say for yourself young man?'