Chapter 27

There was no mistaking the sound of Viper's nimble footsteps moving closer to him.

The way her claws clicked against the dark floor of the dreamscape.

The way her tail whistled as she whipped her barb from side to side.

The way her glare made his scar burn his snout more and more.

"You seem to like feeling me rip you to shreds while you sleep, Flame," she sneered, as he raised his snout to look at her. "If you keep this up, soon there'll be nothing left for me break," she hissed giving him a toothy smile.

For the first time during these nightmares, Flames actually took the time to properly see her. Her words, whilst cutting, didn't stop him from looking.

The SandWing was now nothing more than a shadow, her curves and edges accurate but not defined. Her eyes were a mix of yellow and white, and were alive and burning, despite him being unable to read anything within them.

The shadow of his former friend took another dangerous step towards him.

"She's not really here!" His mind howled. "She's gone. Just get rid of her! You don't need her messing your head anymore!"

Viper sneered, seemingly at his thoughts, as she spread her wings. "Well, well, Flame. It's seems you're finally ready." A pause, as his dread quietly turned into frustration. "You're finally ready to fight me. To finish what we started back on that wretched island."

Flame felt his claws tingling. His throat burned hot. His tail lashed at the thought of freedom from these nightmares, and his wings spread at the idea of a fight.

But he also knew something.

He knew what he wanted.

And he knew what he didn't.

He saw the NightWing Island, the lava pit materializing behind her once more. He saw how easy it could be to get rid of his thoughts, his nightmare... his enemy.

But the tingling in his claws was gone.

He knew who his enemy was, now.

"No."

The dreamscape around him pulsed as Viper's eyes flared brighter.

"No?," she hissed, her scales ablaze. "You can't deny your feelings to me, Flame. I can feel your anger, your fury! Come on!" She blazed, appearing to grow in size. "I want to feel your pain drain out from under my claws!"

Flame felt himself get less stable, as the SandWing's words he spoke came out charged with an emotion that wasn't fear, anger, or both.

And strangely, his reply reflected those emotions exactly, too.

"I won't fight you, Viper," He declared, flaring his wings right back at her.

"Pathetic. You think you can get rid of me by ignoring me? By pretending I don't exist!" She snarled.

"No," he breathed. The SkyWing felt his heart pulse louder in his skull. He felt his webs pulsing, as his mind grew louder.

"Everyone wants me to fight this. To fight her. Everyone... I just don't care. I'm done."

Flame breathed, and then let go.

"I spent so much time feeling furious at the dragons who'd hurt or taken things from me..." the SkyWing said, closing his wings and curling his tail over his talons, "that hate... it turned my claws into my only voice."

"Seems like the appropriate reaction, you smoke-breather," Viper snarled, "we are dragons, after all."

"I thought so too," he replied, "but I felt nothing but fury and rage and vengeance. Those feelings- they burned me from the inside out."